Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iExplore process keeps restarting in the background

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vin_ant

Vin_ant

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have a Dell D620 machine, with Symantec Antivirus installed.

Recently, I was exposed to a malware infection, called System Tool, which displayed all sort of warnings etc. I thought it to be another run of the mill kind of malware that can be cleaned using the typical steps ... Booting in safe mode, running rkill followed by MalwareBytes, which did detect a few oddities and cleaned them.
When I rebooted the machine, I kept getting Internet Explorer error messages over and over, even when I was not running any Internet Explorer. I also noticed that my web pages were getting redirected to some other sites, while using IE8 as well as Firefox. The IE crash messages continued, and I observed the iExplore process being started periodically (even when I killed it manually). A few times, I heard audio advertisements as well as spontaneous Winamp restarts etc.

I have tried "Spybot search and destroy", "AdAware" and "HijackThis" so far. But nothing has detected anything that can fix what I am observing. Currently, I have renamed the "iExplore.exe" from "c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" to something else to stop the auto starting of "internet Explorer" in the background. However, the web redirects are still there, both with ie8 and Firefox.

I saw mentions of Combofix in the past, and would like to give this a try. A couple of times I tried this in the past, Combofix just sat there, and appeared to be stuck forever. Not sure if this was because I had not disabled my Symantec Antivirus, or if there is some hardware incompatibility. But I would like to give this a try again. I am hoping that someone could assist me in this exercise, and also to decipher the ComboFix log file in case it is run to completion.

Thanks in advance,
Vin

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2011 - 02:46 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Please...do not run ComboFix or any such tool...without proper supervision.

I have moved your topic to a forum which will assist you with your situation. One of the BC Staff will be assisteing you shortly.

For informational purposes only, you might read ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Louis

#3 Vin_ant

Vin_ant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

After running multiple malware programs (MalwareBytes, AdAware, Spybot S&D), all of which are claiming that the PC is clean. I have Symantic AntiVirus which also gives my PC a clean bill of health. However, I do see a iExplore.exe process starting on its own (and restarting if I kill it using task manager). I also hear some audio commercials on some occasion, probably because whichever program is starting the iExplore.exe probably directs it to some of these sites.

I also see cookies folder which fills up with all sorts of cookies in short time even after I delete all the files under it.

Is there any way to detect what is causing the iExplore to be started? Is this some kind of malware attack that can not be detected by any of the existing malware finders?

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2011 - 09:48 AM.
Merged posts, same topic.

#4 Vin_ant

Vin_ant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

Has anyone else seen similar issues? Any advice on what should be done?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users