Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I boot from a USB hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry42

Jerry42

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

I would like to make an image or clone of two partitions(one whole drive 80GB) on my Win XP Home SP3 PC and
save it to a USB external hard drive. Does this type of backup include, system, drivers programs and data?
Are there any free image/clone programs that will allow this to be done?
This would be as if I had gotten a virus(still bootable but messed up) and wanted to fix by installing the image/clone
back onto the infected HDD.
It is understood it would be an earlier dated system afterwords.
If this program worked well I would image/clone weekly so data loss would be minimal.
Which would be the better of the two to use if given a choice, image or clone, ?
Thanks for any advice you can give,
Jerry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

The best free disk imaging software is probably Macrium Reflect. Creating images and saving them to an external drive is an excellent protection scheme (I do it weekly for all of my systems using Acronis True Image - I always have at least 3 saved images for each system in case any one of them is somehow corrupt). You won't need to boot to the external drive in the event of a crisis. You would just boot to a bootable cd created by the imaging software and choose the image you saved as the one you want to restore. BUT - if you want to boot to a usb drive here's how: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootusbflash.htm

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

I could have missed this, but I didn't see any mention of the fact that not all BIOS offer booting from a USB device as an option.

Here's another way to go about this...

How to Create a PLoP Boot Manager CD

Download PLoP Boot manager, and extract the files from the Zip to your Desktop.
Burn the plpbt.iso to a CD using your favorite CD/DVD burning software.
Insert your Newly created PLoP Boot CD and your USB Flash Drive.
Reboot your PC and set your System BIOS to boot from the CD.

If all goes as planned, you should now be presented with an alternate Boot Manager that can be used to boot your USB Flash Drive or other device.

Note: In some cases the Flash Drive will actually appear as a hard disk.

These instructions are found at this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jerry42

Jerry42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.
Thanks, Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users