Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista System Restore

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Gary Fox

Gary Fox

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio FZ21Z laptop using Windows Vista 32 bit.

I am at University and had many important bookmarks on Google Chrome for work. I uninstalled Google Chrome but then installed it again and all my bookmarks had gone and I needed to get them back. So I did a system restore to yesterday (12/01/11) as I thought that the restore would bring back the bookmarks that I had. However there has been a problem.

The system restore completed and the laptop shut down to restart again in normal time I think but now it is stuck at the reboot stage. It started up again but is stuck on a blank black screen for about an hour now. There has been nothing come up since the computer shut down. I didn't think that I should turn it off holding the power switch so I will wait for a reply.

I have exams in a week and need to get it working again so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much,

Gary.

Edited by Gary Fox, 13 January 2011 - 09:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

What happens if you hit ctrl-alt-delete?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 Gary Fox

Gary Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Hi,

Nothing. The screen in black and blank still. There isn't a mouse cursor either but the screen is lit up - can see the light from the edges.

Thanks.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Then I would try to power off and back on to see if same result. If it is hung, leaving it on in that state will not help any.

I would try hitting cntrl-alt-delete several times in a row 1st.

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

Try startup repair options: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

#6 Gary Fox

Gary Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for your replies.

So I shouldn't just wait? I'll try the ctrl+alt+delete and see but didn't do anything last time. What can happen from holding the power button or had the system restore already complete?

The repair options should I use that right away or try booting Windows normally first? I don't think that I have the DVD or CD needed for that.

Thanks again,

Gary.

Edited by Gary Fox, 13 January 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

If it's been frozen during restart for an hour it's not going to continue on its own. Depressing and holding the power button will most likely force a hard shutdown. And sure, you can try to reboot first - worst that will happen is that it will freeze again. Then I'd boot to the Vista cd and try the repair options.

#8 Gary Fox

Gary Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:06 AM

Thanks.

So should I hold the power button then or just press it once? I don't think that I have the CD needed for the repair and if I do I don't have it with me! Is there any other way or would I have to go buy one?

Thank you,

Gary.

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

Well you have to see what it does 1st. Hold down the power button until it turns off. Then press it to power on.
What happens?

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

1) Press it, hold it, whatever works.
2) You cannot use Vista's startup repair options without a Vista CD. If you can borrow one, it's perfectly legal to do so.

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:10 AM

If you are at a university, there should be a disc hanging around there somewhere.

Frank O' The Mountain

#12 Gary Fox

Gary Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

I turned it off and back on. It came on and came to the option of startup repair and start windows normally and I pressed startup repair but forgot I didn't have the CD! I'll have to wait for that to finish as I cannot cancel it and then I will start windows normally.

I hope this doesn't make things worse.

Sorry.

Gary.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

It won't do any harm.

#14 Gary Fox

Gary Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

I closed down the computer again after startup repair failed to work (obviously) and then I booted back up. The VAIO sign comes up then goes away, the green bar scrolls across a few times as usual and then goes away and now its on a black screen with the cursor in the middle which I can move around and its been like that for about 10 minutes now.

Whats the problem? What should I do next? or do I need the repair CD?

Thank you,

Gary.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

If it's been frozen during restart for an hour it's not going to continue on its own. Depressing and holding the power button will most likely force a hard shutdown. And sure, you can try to reboot first - worst that will happen is that it will freeze again. Then I'd boot to the Vista cd and try the repair options.

Edited by AllanG, 13 January 2011 - 10:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users