Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compuer Using 100% Of Cpu Power

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Adam315

Adam315

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

Computer is:

Celeron 1.8ghz
500mb ram
40gig HD
Windows 2000 Professional (fresh install, deleted old partitions)
Microsoft Office
Adobe Acrobat

Those are the only programs that i have installed since i reformated the HD earlier today. Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction of finding out what is causing it to use all the CPU's ability?

Now installing programs, doing windows updates, seem to take forever because of this.

I dont think it was doing this before the fresh OS install, but i cant be sure.

Thanks to all those who reply.
Happy Hollidays

Adam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:15 PM

Hit ctrl/alt/delete, which brings up the task manager and see what processes are running.

If the computer is idling, it is normal for Windows to use the CPU's full capacity to run itself, move and handle files, etc, but as soon as you open another application it is supposed to release as much as that ap needs.

#3 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'm sorry, but that doesnt make sense to me.

On my other computer a windows XP machine, when the machine is idling, i use about 2% of the CPU's power. It increases with the more programs that i use

But so i opened up my task manager and looked at the processes that are running, and theres nothing there that seems to be hogging the CPU power that badly.

BUT incase that you are right, (which is probably true)

Is there any way to diagnose this? basically the computer is running realllly reallly slow when i try to run applications as well as install windows updates (causing them to time out)

Ive tested the memory itself using MEMTEST, and it found 0 errors. Is there a program that i can d/l to run a CPU stability test or something like that?

Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate any help i can get.

#4 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

Scratch that. I figured id do some googling myself to try and find the awnser.

I still havent solved. but i know its not the system idle. I just dont know what would cause this. Ive read excuses from Adobe, to Office, to printer subsyems.

none which seem to work with my computer.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:53 PM

Have you done a disk cleanup lately? Have you run Defrag. Have emptied you history and cookies?
This should increase your speed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Run all the maintenance aps, checkdisk/scandisk, defrag, etc.

What do you show in your startup file?

How much room do you have remaining on your hard drive, the partition (if applicable) your op system is on?

What size do you have your pagefile set to?

When you look at the processes running it tells you the percentage of the CPU a process is using.

If you are not having your computer running anything, the system idle process will run very high. Mine does, but as soon as I open another ap or start using one, the sys idle drops way down.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 December 2005 - 07:26 PM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:41 PM

Default Processes in Windows 2000

System Idle Process - You cannot end this process from Task Manager.
• This process is a single thread running on each processor, which has the sole task of accounting for processor time when the system isn't processing other threads. In Task Manager, expect this process to account for the majority of processor time.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263201

If your system is running slow, it isn't the System Manager Process causing it, and if its percentage of use shows high, other processes aren't taking CPU resources.

Start looking for malware.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 December 2005 - 07:45 PM.

#8 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

Thank you for the replies guys i appreciate it.

Well I wouldnt see the need to run defrag and deleting histories, cookies etc. because this is from a fresh install that i just loaded to the exsisting hard drive. But i will do those as well.

Its a 40gb drive, with just windows 2000 pro installed.

I did d/l the msconfig utility and removed all the services that werent required. and it did speed it up for a few minutes, then right back down to slower than junk. I tried doing some windows updates, and it took 25 minutes to "install" Microsoft Installer 3.1

The typical process that does hog the CPU is the system idle, (which i now understand is ok and normal)
and it does go down once another program is running.

The only things that i have starting at startup are:
mobsync
igfxtray
hkcmd

The current pagefile is set to:
( i assume you meant for virtual memory, cause if you didnt i have no clue where to look for it)
But its listed as 720mb.
"Total Paging file size for all drives"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:23 PM

720 is about right for 500 megs of ram. Actually the rule of thumb is 1 and a half times the ram.

Try making it a little larger and see if that speeds it up.(it probably won't).

The few processes you have running should not be slowing the computer down. Something else is wrong.

Did you add any hardware or software just before the problem began?

Is it possible you have a AV scan running in the background? That will slow things down!

What AV program are you using? Norton hogs a lot of resources.

By the way, if you have more than one drive (virtual or otherwise), put the pagefile and data storage on a different drive than your op system.

That may speed things up, at least the pagefile being on another drive will, but it also gives you the advantage of no data loss if you have to reload the op sys again.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 December 2005 - 10:27 PM.

#10 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:46 PM

I have Norton AV corporate edition.

But this was happening before i loaded it :-\

yea i did up the pagefile size to 1000mb. didnt really do too much .

It seems that the bulk of the slowness is opening large programs, or trying to install them or modify them

I did defrag it, did the disk cleanup.

Someone should make a test that will tell you exactly what is wrong with your computer :-)

I did read somewhere though that this type of problem could be caused by the ACPI being enabled. Since i have no data on this HD i care about. Would it be a bad idea to try and load it ( a fresh OS) without this being enabled?

Other than that. Im out of ideas.. Its really sad when you cant even think of what to use as keywords to google ur awnser with. :thumbsup:

Edited by Adam315, 11 December 2005 - 10:47 PM.

#11 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

Alright, I have an update on this that might help ALOT

I tried swapping out the HD with a different one that i had lying around (was going to do a fresh install on this as well)

And as soon as i installed the HD and booted to it, i got a CPU fan error. So now i think im back to thinking its hardware.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:09 PM

If you do not already have Everest Home Edition or a program which will show you the fan speeds and the temps (especially that of the CPU), download Everest Home at the following link, not from Lavalys's home page as they have stopped offering it free and the last freeware edition did not include the software section:

Description of the last full freeware edition:

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Download here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
or here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

The freeware version on lavalysís Everest page seems to have disappeared, even the one with limited features. Too bad! It is a great tool.

If Everest Home Edition downloaded from there doesn't have the software section, try AIDA 32

AIDA 32, The predecessor to Everest can be downloaded here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

#13 Adam315

Adam315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:43 PM

an update before i try what you suggested.

I dont believe its a software issue any longer, because i have installed numerous copies of windows the same way, and none of them have had this problem before.

After installing the other HD, the problem is still there, which makes me think that its the Hardware.

People have asked me or tried to get me to swap out the CPU with that of another one, the only other one i have that i know is functioning correctly is from a celeron 2.4ghz, (upgrading from a 1.8ghz to test the CPU)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users