Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katiekins

katiekins

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

Hi

In the past few days I have had several virus' on my computor and run CCleaner and just press fix all.

Since doing this I have lost sound when playing certain video files on windows media and real player. In fact windows media needed to be reinstalled.

Originally it was saying i needed an mpeg 2 decoder.

Then I did a system restore to just after I had cleaned out the viruses and then again reinstalled windows and I seem to have sound back on there but not in real player. When I try to play with real player it just says error and I need to update and then it tells me it can't play Bup or icm.xvid files or similar.

Does anyone know how I can fix this.... I am sure it is all related to the virus or ccleaner.

Thanks

Katie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:37 AM

1) Ccleaner is not an anti virus utility and it does nothing to alleviate malware infections.

2) You say you reinstalled Windows. Was it a clean install (format and reinstall)? If so, you need to install all drivers (including video and sound) starting with the chipset driver. Open Device Manager - any yellow exclamation marks?

#3 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:33 AM

Hi AllanG

Sorry I wasn't that clear.

1. I didn't use CCleaner to clear the virus', I used McAfee plus, Superspyware and Malwarebytes. I just ran CCleaner as I thought my computor could probably do with a clean out as well.

2. I didn't reinstall the whole of windows .... just did a a system restore to just before I installed and ran CCleaner and then I reinstalled just windows media player 11 as that wouldn't play at all.

Where will I find Device manager?

Thanks

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

What version of Windows are you running and what is the make/model of the system?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

I am running XP and I have the Samsung nc10 (Netbook).

I tried to download something from the windows website for windows media player but when i tried installing it i got an error message saying it wasn't a valid win 32 application.

Windows media is playing more videos with sound now but is freezing/ timing out with most that i try and open in it.

Windows movie maker isn't opening any and asking me to check codec is checked (which i checked but it made no difference)

With real player I am getting the video with no sound still ... except for what i have previously downloaded via real player from you tube. However no error messages are coming up anymore. Does anyone know if real player supports all/most files?

I really don't know whether was the virus, ccleaner or my windows restore that is causing these problems!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users