Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I clean now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 katiekins

katiekins

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:17 AM

Hi

Over the weekend I ran Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Superantispyware found a trojan.agent/Gen-Nullo [Micro], along with several tracking cookies and Malwarebytes found 5 Password.Stealer.

Since then I have changed my AV to McAfee plus (as it is free to HSBC users) and uninstalled AVAST and Windows security essentials (I didn't realise it was bad to have two AV programmes at the same time).

I then run Malwarbytes and it picked up on this ...

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0)

Superspyware also picked up on this.

I did a bit of a google and keep finding different information. So far I have put them in my ignore list (Malwarebytes) and trusted (Superspyware).

I was wondering if it is an infection or whether it is likely that McAfee that has changed these settings when I installed it or whether I should leave them in my ignore/ trusted folder or let Malwarebtes/ Spybot fix them for me.

Also I was wondering how I could find out if my computor is still infected with anything?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Katie

Edited by katiekins, 13 January 2011 - 11:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Also forgot to mention that I had to do a system restore during all this as I was having sound problems with windows media player and real player after I had to reinstall windows media player (as it told me I had to). I wasn't sure whether the sound problems was due to the virus or the fact that I also ran CCleaner and just told it to fix everything. The system restore was to the point just before I installed CCleaner, which was after I cleaned my computor of the virus.

I have a thread in the sound forum that explains it in more detail.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373094.html/page__p__2091667#entry2091667

Just want to check I haven't out the virus back on my computor.

Thanks

Katie

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

The Disabled.SecurityCenter entries do not necessarily mean malware. They are registry keys that can be:
  • Disabled by malware to prevent notification that your protection has been disabled
  • Disabled intentionally by the user.
  • Disabled by other security programs to prevent conflicts, duplicate warnings and allow them to have control.

This key controls the warning you get about your antivirus software (out of date, not installed .....). If the value is set to 1 you wont get any of these warnings and multiple malicious applications do this to prevent you from knowing that they have disabled your antivirus software. MBAM is re-enabling this function in your log.

...these are registry keys that can be disabled by either malware (to prevent notification that protection is disabled) or by the user or their legit software to prevent conflicts or duplicate warnings .

If you are seeing these with no other signs of infection then it is far more likely that your 3rd party security software has disabled these warnings to prevent duplicate security warnings and in these cases telling MBAM to ignore them once will forever solve the issue.

explanation by Malwarebytes Staff

What this means is that it is not uncommon for security programs to disable these keys and other programs to let you know they have been disabled. For example, McAfee Security Center and Norton Internet Security will disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of (manage) things themselves without input from you. If using Spybot S&D, it will provide similar detections for these type of registry changes and ask you to allow or deny them.So if a scan is showing these entries and there are no other signs of infection, then it's likely you or one of your security program has disabled them. If that's the case, then having MBAM add them to the Ignore list (by right-clicking) will prevent the detections from showing in future scans. If you are experiencing symptoms of malware, do not use other security programs and did not disable them yourself, then further investigation is warranted as there is no way to specifically tell how or by what something became disabled. There are infections that disable these keys so that's why MBAM is detecting them and letting you know they are disabled.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the information and explanation.

On sunday I found 6 virus/ infections and on Tuesday I changed to McAfee from Avast and it was after this when mbam and superspywhere picked up on the disabled registry key so I am guessing it is McAfee that diabled them.

I have checked my windows security centre and it says that AV, firewall (both provided by McAfee) and updates are all on. If I look into windows firewall that has diabled but am I to assume that McAfee has done this to prevent confliction as McAfee provides a firewall to?

I am still concerned that I may have a virus or something (me messing up) as my computor is even slower than when it had a virus and keeps freezing/ timing out and goes to a blank screen but I am also aware that McAfee may be the cause of this. I have always had mbab and superspyware installed so don't thing this is the problem unless it is conflicting with McAfee. I have 97 GB of free space on here so don't think I need anything freeing up.

Also now when it is not conected to the internet it goes to a different address in the address bar (the search engine freecause.com). It is not listed in my search providers. Is this a sign of hijack or malware or am I just being paranoid now? Is this a safe site. When connected to the internet it uses the defauted yahoo search engine.

Also I have a question about what happens when you quarantine/ delete a virus? What happens to the file/location it is found in? Does it delete/ quarantine the whole file/ location so it can not be used anymore? I ask this because somehow things have been deleted, like I try and download and update something and when I install I get a message saying win 32 application not found and a lot of audio codes that were installed are now gone (I have picture but no sound on videos). I did run ccleaner but have restored my computor back to before I did this incase it was this that deleted the codes!

Thanks for reading all this and helping me.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:02 AM

If I look into windows firewall that has diabled but am I to assume that McAfee has done this to prevent confliction as McAfee provides a firewall to?

Yes. Using more than one software firewall on a single computer is not advisable. Why? Using two firewalls could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior. Further, running multiple software firewalls can cause conflicts that are hard to identify and troubleshoot. Only one of the firewalls can receive the packets over the network and process them. Sometimes you may even have a conflict that causes neither firewall to protect your connection. However, you can use a hardware firewall (a router) and a software firewall (i.e. Kerio, ZoneAlarm, Comodo, etc) in conjunction.
You also may want to read Understanding and Using Firewalls.

I am still concerned that I may have a virus or something (me messing up) as my computor is even slower than when it had a virus and keeps freezing/ timing out and goes to a blank screen but I am also aware that McAfee may be the cause of this.

Although McAfee is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. If you do a Google Search you will find there have been numerous complaints about it affecting system performance. Those issues plus the cost factor are the primary reason many folks look for a free alternative as a replacement. I would go back to avast or switch to Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus or Microsoft Security Essentials. You can also get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.

When connected to the internet it uses the defauted yahoo search engine.

Also I have a question about what happens when you quarantine/ delete a virus? What happens to the file/location it is found in? Does it delete/ quarantine the whole file/ location so it can not be used anymore?

When an anti-virus or security program quarantines a file and moves it into a virus vault (chest) or a dedicated Quarantine folder, that file is safely held there and no longer a threat. The file is essentially disabled and prevented from causing any harm to your system through security routines which may copy, rename, encrypt and password protect the file before moving. Quarantine is just an added safety measure which allows you to view and investigate the files while keeping them from harming your computer.

One reason for doing this is to prevent deletion of a legitimate file file that may have been flagged as a "false positive" especially if the scanner uses heuristic analysis technology. Heuristics is the ability of a scanning program to detect possible new variants of malware before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as suspicious or infected. If that is the case, then you can restore the file and add it to the exclusion or ignore list. When the quarantined file is known to be malicious, you can delete it at any time by launching the program which removed it, going to the Quarantine tab, and choosing the option to delete.

I ask this because somehow things have been deleted, like I try and download and update something and when I install I get a message saying win 32 application not found...

More information is needed. What are you trying to download and update?

and a lot of audio codes that were installed are now gone (I have picture but no sound on videos). I did run ccleaner but have restored my computor back to before I did this incase it was this that deleted the codes!

CCleaner removes unused, temporary and junk files from your system to include temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, etc. It should not have removed audio codecs and you may need to reinstall them.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, I don't recommend using registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

• Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

• Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

• Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

• The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

#6 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for the reply and explanation.

Now I only have on here McAfee plus (AV and Firewall), Malwarebytes anti malware and Super antispyware. As far as I am aware the McAfee is the only one with real time. Is this enough and ideally how often should I run these scans? I am aware McAfee uses alot of CPU. Mine is peaking at 80-90% at times. When I know my computor is 'safe' again I will consider changing as I got this one free.

The fact that when I don't have an internet connection the webpage it goes to a different address in the address bar (freecause.com)is likely to be a virus/ infection then?

More information is needed. What are you trying to download and update?

I was trying to download something for windows media player from the Microsoft website as I was having sound/ freezing issues with it.

CCleaner removes unused, temporary and junk files from your system to include temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, etc. It should not have removed audio codecs and you may need to reinstall them.

I have installed CCleaner .... have decided it is not worth the risk.
As for the audio codes ... who knows how I have deleted them ... could it be a virus then or just me being careless? Any idea how/ where I can reinstall them without having to install another media player?

I also have real player which I have read is plague with spyware and other stuff .... can you suggest an alternative that will play the files I downloaded from youtube and will still let me download from there.

Thanks for the information and links on false positives. I kinda understand but still don't know how I personally would tell the difference so I guess the best bet is stay safe and put them in quarantine. Also how would I know my items in quarantine is safe to delete?

Also what happens to the quarantine when you change/ unistall AV and anti malware software? Does it still keep it safe?

I know I am asking alot of simple questions but I am not very technical and don't want to end up in this situation again.

Thank you.

Edited by katiekins, 15 January 2011 - 10:41 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

The fact that when I don't have an internet connection the webpage it goes to a different address in the address bar (freecause.com)is likely to be a virus/ infection then?

That's a possibility so lets investigate further.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.zip) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!
Be sure to print out and follow all instructions for performing a scan or refer to these instructions with screenshots.

• Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop and make sure TDSSKiller.exe (the contents of the zipped file) is on the Desktop itself, not within a folder on the Desktop. Vista/Windows 7 users refer to these instructions if you're unsure how to unzip a file.
  • If you don't have an extracting program, you can download TDSSKiller.exe and use that instead.
  • Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • When the program opens, click the Start Scan button.
  • Do not use the computer during the scan
  • If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
  • If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
  • Ensure Cure is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.<- Important!!
    Note: If 'Suspicious' objects are detected, you will be given the option to Skip or Quarantine. Skip will be the default selection.
  • A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
  • Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.
-- If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it. To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com). If you do not see the file extension, please refer to these instructions. In some cases it may be necessary to redownload TDSSKiller and randomly rename it before downloading and saving to the computer.

-- For any files detected as 'Suspicious' (except those identified as Forged to be cured after reboot) get a second opinion by submitting to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.

Please perform a scan with Eset Online Anti-virus Scanner.
  • This scan requires Internet Explorer to work. If using a different browser, you will be given the option to download and use the ESET Smart Installer.
  • Vista/Windows 7 users need to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run As Administrator from the context menu.
  • Click the green Posted Image button.
  • Read the End User License Agreement and check the box:
  • Check Posted Image.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Check Remove found threats and Scan potentially unwanted applications. (If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
  • Click the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer.
  • If offered the option to get information or buy software at any point, just close the window.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and do NOT use the computer while the scan is running. Keep all other programs and windows closed.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop as ESETScan.txt.
  • Push the Posted Image button, then Finish.
  • Copy and paste the contents of ESETScan.txt in your next reply.
Note: A log.txt file will also be created and automatically saved in the C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\ folder.
If you did not save the ESETScan log, click Posted Image > Run..., then type or copy and paste everything in the code box below into the Open dialogue box:

C:\Program Files\ESET\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • Click Ok and the scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the contents of log.txt in your next reply.
-- Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn them back on after you are finished.

I also have real player which I have read is plague with spyware and other stuff .... can you suggest an alternative that will play the files I downloaded from youtube and will still let me download from there.

I seldom download anything from youtube or use Real Player so you may want to start a new thread in the software forum asking about alternatives. I use Gom Player which supports most common music and video file formats.

Also what happens to the quarantine when you change/ unistall AV and anti malware software? Does it still keep it safe?

If you're not given the option to remove all files and folders, then you can just manually delete the quarantine folder which will remove everything inside.

#8 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

Ok scans done.

TDSSKiller didn't find anything.

A copy of my ESET scan is ...

C:\Documents and Settings\Katie Bigg\Application Data\D367427EF11ECF07AE210B3E8F151ABE\enemies-names.txt Win32/Adware.AntimalwareDoctor.AE.Gen application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ODM7GLMB\default[1] Win32/Adware.Antivirus2010 application cleaned by deleting - quarantined

The AntimalwareDoctor virus is one I got last July and thought I had got rid of, obviously not.

It is just so frustrating as in the past week I have tried 4 antivirus scanners (Avast, virgin, microsoft and now McAfee) malwarebyes and superantispyware and found nothing .... run this scan and find two!!! Is it recommended that I run this online scan regularly then as well as the existing programmes I have?

Shall I keep TDSSKiller on my desktop and regularly run it or delete it?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

I always recommend running an online scan to supplement your anti-virus.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Just because one anti-virus detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

TDSSKiller is a specialized tool, not a general anti-malware scanner. Kaspersky updates it from time to time. If it is needed, you can always download it again later.

#10 katiekins

katiekins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for your help.

Can you shed any light on the virus' it found. I obvioulsy know abit about antimalware doctor but nothing about the other ... it is linked linked to my McAfee antivirus is it? They just have simular names.

Would you say I am clean yet ... I am still not 100% confident for a few reasons. My McAfee keeps resetting itself as regards to scheduled scanning and it won't update (even through it is set to update) and I have noticed when I go sign in to get my msn emails now from msn.com home page, now instead of opening up in the same window it opens up in another window and before the address bar goes to the hotmail address it goes to www.getie8.co.uk/hotmail and then the signing in page comes up. If I go to www.hotmail.co.uk, this doesn't happen ... the same sign in page opens up in the same page.

Could this be a sign that I am still furthur infected?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:08 PM

Can you shed any light on the virus' it found. I obvioulsy know abit about antimalware doctor but nothing about the other .

Antivirus 2010

There are no guarantees or shortcuts when it comes to malware removal. Infections and severity of damage will vary. The longer malware remains on your system, the more time it has to download additional malicious files. Depending on the infection you are dealing with, it may take several efforts with different, the same or more powerful tools to do the job. Even then, with some types of malware infections, the task can be arduous and security tools may not find all the remnants.

In any case, I can only go by what the scan logs show (what was detected/removed) and your description of whatever signs or symptoms of infection you are experiencing.

If you want a more detailed look at your system, then more advanced tools are needed to investigate. Before that can be done you will need you to folllow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help and post a DDS log for further investigation in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373900.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users