Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system32\NVDESK32.DLL is not a valid Windows image

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:09 AM

I'm new to this forum,Well at least as a registered member that is.
So I would just like to say HI to every1! And hopefully I can finally get some help with my problem(s) and perhaps eventually help other's also.
First I would just like to thank some of you that has helped some of us that has gotten the 2011 virus!!
I recently had the 2011 anti virus problem like so many others have obviously had. The only thing I could think of to do at the time was to do a system restore to a previous date. That seemed to have worked but I was also paranoid of it popping back up so I came on here and followed simple instructions that were previously given out to some1 else about how to get rid of this problem. And that was to get the rKill download and then go get MalwareBytes. Well that obviously worked because ever since I got malwarebytes it seemed to have gotten rid of the problem.

And now back to the original reason why I'm posting.
When ever I go to open up anything I get this message popping up

C:\WINDOWS\system32\NVDESK32.DLL is not a valid Windows image

I have everything from AVG,Avast,spybot search and destroy,malwarebytes and just recently came across Eusing free registry cleaner.

Yes, I know I probably only need like 2 of those. Lol. But this problem simply will not go away. I have ran all these in safe mode also and yet I still have the same results.
I tried doing another system restore but I can NOT. Not even in safe mode.
So .. I'm begging some1 to PLEEEAAASSEEE Help me with this problem. Lol.

I do not have hijack this or else I would simply post the log files.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who would look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

Have you tried to reinstall nVidia Video Card Driver from here: http://www.nvidia.com?

#3 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

Yeah . According to that site everything is up and running fine.

Product Current
Installed Driver Latest Driver
Update
Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller 0.0 Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who would look on and do nothing."
-Albert Einstein

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#5 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

Operating System
MS Windows XP Home 32-bit SP3
CPU
cannot initialize CPU DLL
RAM
Motherboard
Graphics
This service cannot be started in Safe Mode
Hard Drives
Optical Drives
PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

--
Obviously this is not good.

-Albert Einstein

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:47 AM

Why are you running in Safe Mode?

#7 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

The reason I was in Safe mode earlier it was because I was running the anti virus ware programs .... As of right now I am in safe mode and that is because when I went to google chrome everything froze and I had to manual shut off. That happened twice,thinking it wouldn't do it again but it did.. So I'm in safe mode at the moment... and right now I just realized that I have no sound.. Greeat more crap.

-Albert Einstein

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

What happens when you do not use Google Chrome?

#9 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Okay so I restarted the computer. I am now using IE and as soon as I got on I got a "Microsoft Error Report" Something to do with the NET Framework. I sent the report to microsoft like it asked.

I'm starting to think that the problem of this SYSTEM32\NVDESK32.DLL is not a valid windows image ... Has obviously has something to do with perhaps the start up programs? I mean as soon as I turn the computer on its like BOOM BOOM BOOM pop ups of this..

-Albert Einstein

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Can you take any screenshots of the window if possible or kill it via task manager via ctrl+alt+del?

#11 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

Nope. Don't see anything in the task manager. Don't see anything in add/remove programs either. Should I go and get Hijackthis so it'll be easier to see whats going on? And also, I have an windows update but it never installs, so I'm assuming this is part of the problem ......... (?)

-Albert Einstein

#12 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:49 PM

The following updates could not be installed:
Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)
Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2477244)
---
I don't even know what Silverlight is or how it got on here.. .

-Albert Einstein

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

No installation required.

Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.

You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

#14 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

Should I do what this site says to do?
http://www.file.net/process/nvdesk32.dll.html

I'm paranoid about downloading certain stuff ever since I had got the 2011 anti virus crap ... Lol

Okay. will do. Thanks

-Albert Einstein

#15 Hole in the sky

Hole in the sky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

Sorry it took awhile. I had to figure out how to attach the file. Attached File  AutoRuns.txt   31.97KB   2 downloads

-Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users