Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No power after dissasebly/reassembly of laptop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Endymion86

Endymion86

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:22 AM

I took apart my laptop - gateway p6860fx - to clean the gunk off the gpu and CPU fans. When I put it back together (I was careful to put everything back in place correctly), I now get no power to the system whatsoever. No lights turn on when it is plugged in by the power adapter, and no power registers from the battery. Nothing. It's totally dark.

Did I leave something unplugged? Did I touch something I wasn't supposed to? I'm so frustrated... I didn't even take the motherboard out ofthe system - just got it open enough to clean the fans.:(

Someone, please help me. I really hope I didn't just kill the thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

I would take it apart and see if anything was left unplugged.

Did you remove any components?

#3 Endymion86

Endymion86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

I took it apart three more times and checked everything. I tested for power every time I connected something. But still, no go. :( no power, no lights, nothing.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:32 AM

Were you grounded to anything while working on it?

#5 Endymion86

Endymion86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:32 AM

I was grounded while I worked on it, and made sure to reconnect everything I touched.

Update:

Now, with the battery in and the ac adapter plugged in, two blue lights come on in the front - power and battery.

I was able to successfully start the system after letting it sit like that for a while. However, when I went into windows, it said that the battery was at 100%.

I then shut off the laptop, and now, even though the two lights are still on, it will not start.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:36 AM

Let me think about this for a while.

#7 Endymion86

Endymion86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

ROFL! I finally figured out what happened, after two more hours of work on it. I had plugged the power cable ribbon into the wrong button somehow, so that the button NEXT to the power button turns the system on. Now to take it all apart again and correct my mistake!

Thank youn very much for your advice and attempting to help. :)

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

You are most welcome, and happy computing. i recommend working on computers during the day with a well lighted room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users