Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scannow SFC

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ScottAS

ScottAS

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

Am trying to clean/speed up computer (XP Home SP3) following all instructions on bleeping site but can't get past Scannow SFC. As described in Marc Liron's web page, the dialog box "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache". I've tried every suggested workaround I could find with no luck. I've burned the operating system backup from the computer restore drive to DVD and tried to read, I've copied i386 to C:\ with no luck; changed the registry paths (default = E:\Drivers\Win2k&xp) in every setting recommended and I still receive the dialog box. Let me add that the check runs for about 1/6 of the way before the dialog box appears. But then, in addition to changing the SourcePath settings, if I also change the ServicePack paths, the dialog box pops up immediately. Any thoughts?
ThX
Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

Do you have an XP CD? If so, you can do a repair installation (boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option). XP will essentially install on top of itself, replacing missing or altered system files (which is what sfc /scannow does). Done properly, all programs and settings will remain intact. After the repair you'll need to go to Windows Update and download and install all updates.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:48 AM

If you can't download the Speccy, please post the make and model of this computer.

If you have a retail copy of a XP Home CD, or have access to to one, this would be the best way to make a repair installation. Ideally you would want one with SP3. Another option would be to slipstream SP3 with the installation CD if it is an earlier service pack.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ScottAS

ScottAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Here is post from speccy. Thank you!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6LwZyDvCrzauja9OjiiCKWs

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

I would recommend getting another 1gig of RAM, removing Zone Alarm and use Windows Firewall, and making sure all your drivers and applications are fully updated.

Id also check for over heating and to make sure your case is properly ventilated.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Temperature: 35°C Temperature Range: ok (less than 50°C)Status: Good

I wish my unit always ran that cool, if mine runs at 40C it is normal -
You seem to not have heating/fan issues at this time, unless you always play "heavy usage" games -
Check disk with the code listed below can help repair any faults - Copy/paste this code into Run Box, close all open programs and click OK - The computer will reboot in 30 seconds and perform a 5 stage check/repair on your system -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This may take 30 to 45 mins to co,plete, so just let it run -
Why can you not perform sfc /scannow ?? You can borrow a CD from anyone else that has one - They have the same System Files --
You can upgrade the RAM to bigger sticks if they will fit - You do not mention how much 'free space' you have - Very Important -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 13 January 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#8 ScottAS

ScottAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Thank you noknojon! Will run command as suggested. Have 121 Gigs free.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:04 PM

Thank you noknojon! Will run command as suggested. Have 121 Gigs free.

(Please) Just for a silly old bugger like me -Can you put that into % please - If you have less than 20% free this will slow a system badly (especially during games) -
If you get below, or anywhere near 20% free, please start to remove items or store them (pictures songs etc.) on CD or similar -
Do not use any programs like "Speed Up My Computer" or other similar registry altering programs - These often have the "Reverse effect" -

Thank You Scott -

#10 ScottAS

ScottAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Will get that to you but am running chkdsk at the moment (am using different computer now). I should say that available space is, I believe, over 60%, though but will verify when system returns.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Hi Scott -
If that is correct the only other item you need is a general cleaner like CCleaner -
Download and install CCleaner slim
  • CCleaner slim
  • Scroll down to the Slim version,
  • Click on the downloaded file "ccsetup_slim.exe" and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS including your Web Browser
  • Open the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts - Then exit
    Note, this will remove cookies as well so if you do want to keep them then uncheck them before running it.
This will remove most Temp (unwanted) files, like downloaded backgrounds etc. and help things run a bit smoother -
Apart from adding more RAM (I also use M.S.E. Antivirus) dusting inside there is very little else to do on an XP unit of this size -
The Zone Alarm (as listed above) can be replaced by Windows F/Wall to cut extras, unless you visit a few unsafe sites -
Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 13 January 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

If you get below, or anywhere near 20% free, please start to remove items

When hdds were only between 40GB and 80GB this was true as you would only have between 8GB and 16GB for swap space. But with hdds running between 200GB and 1TB this is no longer true. A 200GB hdd with only 20% free space still has 40GB for swap space. A 1TB hdd with only 20% still has 200GB of free space.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 ScottAS

ScottAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:09 AM

Sorry. I was away for awhile. I have 65% free. Will download and run ccleaner. I cleaned the unit about 2 weeks ago (inside dust, etc.) Appreciate your feedback and help!

Scott

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi Scott -
If that is correct the only other item you need is a general cleaner like CCleaner -

• CCleaner slim
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
    Note, this will remove cookies as well so if you do want to keep them then uncheck them before running it.
This will remove most Temp (unwanted) files, like downloaded backgrounds etc. and help things run a bit smoother -
Apart from adding more RAM (I also use M.S.E. Antivirus) dusting inside there is very little else to do on an XP unit of this size -
The Zone Alarm (as listed above) can be replaced by Windows F/Wall to cut extras, unless you visit a few unsafe sites -
Thanks -

Forgive me for asking, but do you think ccleaner is going to do that will help "speed up" the OP's system?

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:32 AM

Hi Scott -

• CCleaner slim
Thanks -

Forgive me for asking, but do you think ccleaner is going to do that will help "speed up" the OP's system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users