Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Computer gets error and stays black and doesn't load.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Ok, so I have a Dell laptop and when I went to turn it on the other day I got an error message right before the desktop would load and it says "an application failed to start because scesrv.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem."

I tried to start windows in safe mode and the message still comes up and the desktop won't load. Tried loading to last know good configuration and it still didn't work.

What should I do to fix this issue? Trying to avoid installing from scratch.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:54 AM

I would try to run the chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition.

Vague error messages like you mentioned can sometimes be corrected by running chkdsk /r. I received a similar message myself yesterday morn and chkdsk /r was the way that I resolved it. I later read up on it and running chkdsk /r was one of the reocmmendations by MS.

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/87766-scesrvdll-problems/

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

It would help to know what the model of this laptop is.

Depending on the model, you can use either the proper function key or the XP CD to access the recovery console where you can run chkdsk /r.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users