Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xscreensaver cannot blank scnree in XFCE, but can in KDE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Same system as the sound problems. Everex NM3500W with a FIC motherboard and the VIA P4M800 chipset, including integrated S3 Unichrome video system. So the system is using the openchrome drivers. I had to do some tweaking to figure out how to make it work properly. Turned out I had to use the BIOS settings to set video modes, otherwise using any 3D acceleration, even menu effects, would make the system lockup the next time it changed video modes.

With the X11 problems apparently solved, I discovered that the xscreensaver daemon can no longer control the screen. It just never wakes up and activates a screensaver. Trying to configure the screensaver causes the utility to complain that it cannot find the daemon and ask if I want to start it. (But note: ps -e shows that it IS running!) Trying to start it fails, with a suggestion to check $PATH and permissions. So, no screensaver.

But I use XFCE by default. Once or twice I have booted KDE instead, and one time when I left it idle long enough the screen did blank. I then poked around in the KDE system control utility and was able to set and test various screensavers. It is ONLY in XFCE that xscreensaver cannot seem to get control of the screen. (Yes, it's xscreensaver not kscreensaver. I checked.)

But I prefer to use the much lighter XFCE. What would be the difference between KDE and XFCE in how xscreensaver works? What config files could I check?

Edited by Alchemist, 12 January 2011 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Why can't I edit the subject of my message?

#3 Ramchu

Ramchu

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html

#4 Alchemist

Alchemist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:14 PM

Yes, I have seen that. And it contains nothing useful. The only thing remotely relevant is the note about being root interfering with it. But being logged in as root makes no difference in this case. It still won't function when I just boot into XFCE and let it sit without using any root functions. And it DID work when I was in KDE with an open (though minimized) root terminal window. This is something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users