Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow boot, Shutdown/Restart issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 inm8num2

inm8num2

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hello,

Recently I had some problems and received assistance in another subforum with removing an infection (here if curious). That is solved, however there still remain a couple of other issues on my desktop PC.

Dell Dimension 4500
Windows XP Home SP 3

Issues:

- Slower boot (time between Dell splash screen and Windows loading screen now ~15-20 seconds vs. ~5 seconds before)
- System restore doesn't load, tells me I need to restart my PC
- Selecting "Turn off computer" from Start Menu freezes explorer (I have to use Task Manager to close/reload explorer.exe, then select Shut Down/Standby/Restart from Task Manager menu)
- By using above method I can enter Standby, but Shutting Down or Restarting causes system to freeze at blue "Windows is shutting down..." screen; I must press power button on PC

- All video/audio playback seems fine, but Windows Media Player can't play audio files due to the audio device not being available. Seems to be a driver issue

I have read some of the pinned threads regarding various diagnostic tools but feel a guided approach would be better. Also, I do not have an XP recovery disc but understand one can be made. However, I hope to avoid making drastic changes to the system or having to reinstall XP.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by inm8num2, 13 January 2011 - 04:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hi inm8num2 -
First please do a disk check first - Copy and paste the code below into the Run Box - This will reboot your system and do a full 5 stage check and repair where it can - Close all open programs, including internet and then click OK for the code to run -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This will take 30 to 45 mins so please let it run uninterupted -

Thank You -

#3 Jebaw

Jebaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

Does System Restore do the same thing in safe mode?

#4 jaydeee

jaydeee

• Banned Spammer
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

try the following:
1. use ccleaner to clean your computer
2. use ccleaner to disable unneeded startup applications. this will surely help speed up your boot time.
3. check your hdd for bad sector. use chkdsk /r
4. update your os
5. update your drivers.
6. defrag your computer.

hope it helps.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Ccleaner has some useful tools, but it also has a registry cleaner which the staff here does not endorse the use of. The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results". Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

As for updating the drivers, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You can also use the Disk Cleanup and remove your temp file. Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 inm8num2

inm8num2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hi all and thanks for the replies. I unfortunately haven't had a chance to do what you've suggested yet but will this afternoon/early evening.

I figured out the WMP audio issue - video card driver conflict. Solved by using my ATI card instead of nVidia (drivers for both are installed). I had this issue before other problems occured, so I do not relate them.

So should I do the disk check from noknojon (CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30) first, followed by TFC? Or the other way around?

Jebaw, I'll have to confirm but two days ago I'm 99% confident that when I tried to use System Restore in Safe Mode the same error came up.

Again, some of this is the aftermath of the Alureon.a virus which prevented me from booting, but that's gone and now the three main issues are:

1. Slower boot
2. Can't use Start Menu shut down/standby/restart (must use Task Mgr); even so system doesn't fully shut down
3. System Restore says it cannot be run and PC must be restarted.

Your comments/tips are much appreciated!

Edited by inm8num2, 13 January 2011 - 04:25 PM.

#7 inm8num2

inm8num2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

Hi inm8num2 -
First please do a disk check first - Copy and paste the code below into the Run Box - This will reboot your system and do a full 5 stage check and repair where it can - Close all open programs, including internet and then click OK for the code to run -

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This will take 30 to 45 mins so please let it run uninterupted -

Thank You -

Done. After Chkdsk finished and rebooted, I notice my Dell "splash screen" no longer appears (my monitor flickers a few times where it should appear). I can still enter BIOS at that moment and otherwise the system boots. There is still a lag between where the splash should be and where Windows actually begins to load (this is my concern r.e. slow boot time).

Does System Restore do the same thing in safe mode?

Yes. In safe mode I cannot use System Restore. I tried changing System Restore properties (right click My Computer --> S.R. tab) and turning it off then on to see if that would work, but I receive an error:
"System restore encountered an error trying to enable/disable one or more drives. Please restart your machine and try again."

You can also use the Disk Cleanup and remove your temp file. Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link

• Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. (If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose "Run As Administrator".)
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Ran TFC after chkdsk completed.

Basically, where I stand is:

1. Dell splash screen doesn't show up upon boot (but process/timing is same).
2. Delay between where splash should occur and actual Windows loading screen still there.
3. System restore not working in any capacity. Do I have to reinstall it?

Thanks,
inm8num2

Edited by inm8num2, 13 January 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

The System Restore Service is not running—Open Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications. Click Services, and double-click System Restore Services from the list. Verify the service is started and running. If not, under Service status, click Start and change the startup type to Automatic.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Dan Penny

Dan Penny

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

I am also a proponent of CCleaner. I have used it for over five years with NO problems. (And thousands of other people.)

http://www.ccleaner.com/download/

(Click on Download from FileHippo......, in the PayPal box)

When the next window opens, click "Download Latest Version" on the right of the page.

Alternate Download;

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Once you download and install it, open the program then click on (left hand side) OPTIONS, then COOKIES. Any cookies you want to save (trusted sites, places you have usernames/passwords), highlight them in the left column, then (using the directional arrows between the panes), move them to the right hand column under "Cookies to keep".

Still under Options, click on Advanced. Remove the check mark from the box for "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours".

Leave all other settings at the default.

Then click on Cleaner (on the top left). When that window opens, click on Run Cleaner (bottom right of the window.)

When it finishes, close CCleaner, and restart your machine. (Some files will not be deleted until a restart is performed.)

I do not advocate running CCleaner on each boot/session. I run it once or twice a week.

I also advocate the use of RegSeeker (for the above same reasons).

RegSeeker

Open it, click on Clean The Registry, then OK.

Once it's finished, along the bottom of the screen, (near the operation progress bar) click on Select, choose "Select All". Then click on Action, then "Delete selected items".

All deleted items will be backed up, just click OK for the default backup filenames/locations.

Close the program and restart the machine.

Post back with your results.
It's a good day when you learn something
-----------------------------------------------------------

#10 inm8num2

inm8num2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

The System Restore Service is not running—Open Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then click Services and Applications. Click Services, and double-click System Restore Services from the list. Verify the service is started and running. If not, under Service status, click Start and change the startup type to Automatic.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/getstarted/ballew_03may19.mspx

I have examined these before (in standard and safe modes), and System Restore is set to automatic start. However, its status doesn't display "Started" like many applications in that list. When I try to start, I receive this error:

"Could not start the System Restore service on Local Computer.
Error 15: the system cannot find the drive specified.
"

Under properties, the path is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, and I've verified that I can access this file in explorer.

Interestingly, "Turn off computer" in the Start Menu is not working again (hourglass mouse symbol and frozen desktop. I have to use Task Mgr again to end/restart explorer.exe. I've observed that when I initially log into Windows I can use "Turn off computer" via the Start Menu, but after some time and usage the problem resurfaces.

RE CCleaner, I use it occasionally and have already cleared temporary files with it before posting my issues on here. I believe something else is fundamentally wrong on my system as a result of the previous infection.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

Try running chkdsk /r

Edited by dc3, 13 January 2011 - 11:50 PM.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

Moderator note: I removed your HJT log as these logs are not permitted in the XP forum.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 inm8num2

inm8num2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:27 AM

Sorry, I didn't know that rule.

All my problems still remain. I am not sure what to do :(. I need to somehow diagnose what's going on with my system, as none of my approaches so far have worked.

I'm also having trouble with Windows Update. Internet Explorer loads but gives me error 0x80248011. I've been searching the net actively for solutions to this and my other issues, but nothing fixes these problems.

I appreciate everyone's help and hope I can fix everything.

Edited by inm8num2, 14 January 2011 - 01:30 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,277 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:52 AM

Ok, let's take these one at a time.

Windows update problem...

Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the General tab.
In the Temporary Internet files section, click Delete Cookies.
In the Delete Cookies box, click OK.
Click Delete Files.
Click to select the Delete all offline content check box in the Delete Files dialog box, and then click OK.
In the History section, click Clear History.
Click Yes, and then click OK.

#15 inm8num2

inm8num2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:00 AM

I've also used Administrative Tools Event Viewer to see if I can determine what's going on.

Under the "Application" pane, there is an error that literally has an entry every few seconds. In addition, this error began to occur only after my hard drive was cleaned from infection. The source of the error is "ESENT", and the description in properties reads as follows:

wuauclt (612) An attempt to determine the minimum I/O block size for the volume "C:\" containing "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\Logs\" failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ". The operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

Under the "System" pane, there are multiple errors that did not exist before my infection. They repeat over and over. Some examples:

The System Restore initialization process failed.

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
The system cannot find the drive specified.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AvgLdx86
AvgMfx86
Fips
intelppm
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
sptd

The HID Input Service service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

The Symantec AntiVirus Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

Sorry for the long post, but I am just trying to give a better picture of what's going on with my pc :(.

Edited by inm8num2, 14 January 2011 - 02:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users