Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attacked by some type of defrag malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moon5683

moon5683

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:08 PM

I have a 3 year old HP pavilion dv2500 running windows xp sp3. I'm not sure what other info is needed for advice. I was looking at some random recipes online and started getting popup messages rapid fired - things like RAM issues, then registry issues, then viruses found and unsuccessfully contained...I knew it was garbage and I'd been infected but before I could think about my first steps the sirens started about critical hard drive errors and a disk defrag started running. I was unable to use task manager to end the programs that were running. Realizing I needed to research what happened and how to deal with it I tried to shut down the computer...the running programs weren't allowing me to shut down. I closed the laptop for a time to research on another computer. When I opened the laptop i got a blue screen message saying critical hard drive error windows is shutting down. When I tried to turn the computer back on it's stuck in a loop at the HP backsplash then goes black and restarts to the HP logo. The only thing I've been able to do is boot into the BIOS. Since the last thing I saw was critical hard drive errors I did a hard drive self test and it passed. Now I'm at a loss. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moon5683

moon5683
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

I thought I should add that my first thought to try to fix the problem was boot into safe mode and try running malwarebytes. The problem is that I can't boot into safe mode, or at least I couldn't figure it out. F8 did not work.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

Hello, please let me know if you have an XP CD at hand.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 moon5683

moon5683
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

yes I have the XP cd

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type fixmbr and press enter. Note, if you are using drive encryption, do NOT execute this command, instead, post back here!

Type EXIT and press enter to reboot. Let me know what happens now.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 moon5683

moon5683
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Sorry there has been such a delay in responding. I've lived without laptop for a long time while trying to find my XP recovery disc. Just found it today.

I followed the instructions posted and it got me past the continual rebooting. I now can get to the main windows page that allows me to choose the user I want to login as. It starts to load the desktop setting but never progresses from there. I let it set for 10 minutes to see if it would progress. I can see the desktop wallpaper but it never loads beyond that. I can use control/alt/del to get to the task manager. It shows what processes are running. I can turn off the computer from the task manager. I then tried to log into safe mode which I can now do. I ran Rkill in safe mode and the log read terminated: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe I then installed Malware bytes from a flash drive. It ran for a couple of minutes and had found 23 infected items then the computer shutdown on it's own from safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users