Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webroot antivirus with spy sweeper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

A friend of mine was told that Webroot was one of the best antivirus programs. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion. I have used AVG and Microsoft security essentials with lots of luck. He on the other hand has viruses that are not that severe and Webroot did not detect them. He is leaving it up to me whether to uninstall it or not and I just wanted to get some opinions from the best site ever :) Thank you !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

PC Mag's review seems to be promising; however, the user reviews state that it may slow down your computer quite a bit.

Personally, I would stick to free alternatives such as Avast, Avira, or the more recent Microsoft Security Essentials.

Edited by Sightless, 12 January 2011 - 07:11 PM.

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for your input :) I think i will change to MSE. I have found good information but more on the spyware side of it and that is usually on sites that are promoting to sell it. I found the CNET site with customer reviews and the majority seem to be getting poor results with the antivirus. I was surprised when it didnt catch the simple joke downloader viruses. It mostly seems to find cookies. He recently had to restore the whole computer because it was so infected and he has been using Webroot for a little over a year now.

#4 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

I just switched to MSE from Avast today. I decided to give it a chance. I've used Avira for years, Avast for about a year, and now MSE. Install was quick and easy, and its supposed to be a lot better than when it first released. Hopefully it just keeps getting better :)

#5 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I think you will be happy with it. It has done a great job for us and I have 2 teenagers !!

#6 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Funny you should mention that, as I'm a teen myself, I'm 16 :whistle:

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

LOL you should be fine with MSE. I would run Malwarebytes once a week too. Its a great free program for spyware. Good Luck :)

#8 Sightless

Sightless

• Members
  • 435 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Yeah, I have Malwarebytes, I'm in the loop when it comes to security programs usually ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users