Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

server 2003 help?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CompWizNate

CompWizNate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:14 PM

I just installed server 2003 on a desktop and I unfortunatly don't know the first thing about it, but basically all I want to do is be able to store files on my machine and access them through flash fxp, is there anyone that can help me accomplish this cause i am lost!

Edited by CompWizNate, 12 January 2011 - 04:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

This link explains how to setup a FTP server on 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323384

You can then use the other program to access the files. Keep in mind unless you have a static IP (and public) for the
server you will not be able to access them accross the internet reliably. If you are getting a DHCP assigned address it could change periodically when the DHCP lease expires. If you are only shooting for access of the files on the local network then you can assign the server its own static IP on your private IP range eliminating this issue.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 CompWizNate

CompWizNate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

This link explains how to setup a FTP server on 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323384

You can then use the other program to access the files. Keep in mind unless you have a static IP (and public) for the
server you will not be able to access them accross the internet reliably. If you are getting a DHCP assigned address it could change periodically when the DHCP lease expires. If you are only shooting for access of the files on the local network then you can assign the server its own static IP on your private IP range eliminating this issue.

Great! Thank you for the help, I will look into this!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users