Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any way to use a google search page other than Google.com/Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

One of the main reasons I prefer using Google is iGoogle, which basically puts all these RSS feeds in an organized fashion, in addition to weather and a bunch of widgets. I recently changed my default search provider on Firefox to Google. I did this by checking about:config and modifying the value in browser.search.defaultenginename.

With this value modified, I can now access Google search through my keyboard by pressing the search button.

The problem is, the search is Google.com/firefox. I have tried to change the value browser.search.searchEnginesurl to www.google.com or www.igoogle.com, so I don't have to deal with the Firefox google page.

I don't know if Firefox can even be programmed to go to a different page other than www.google.com/firefox, but I was wondering if anyone had any possible solutions. If not, I guess I will just access Igoogle the old fashioned way, through the address bar.

Edited by ixcuincle, 12 January 2011 - 03:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

If I understand you correctly, I believe the "about:config" entry you want to change is:
browser.search.defaulturl
The string entry for mine is:
http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=
Any time something(besides an actual URL) is typed in the address bar, a Google search is performed with a list of appropriate(hopefully) links as the result.

Edit:
After looking into this a little further, in "about:config", see if you have an entry browser.search.selectedEngine. If you do, try changing the string value to iGoogle.

If all else fails, try the Add to Search Bar add-on. Once the add-on is installed, go to your iGoogle page, right click in the empty iGoogle search box and from the context menu select the "Add to Search Bar" option. This will add iGoogle to your search engine list and it will make iGoogle your default search engine in the search bar until you change it to a different one in your list. The result will be, anytime you click on the search button, the iGoogle search page will come up.

I've had that particular extension installed for a long time and never had a problem with it. If you try it, hope it works for you too.

Edited by FlannelBack, 13 January 2011 - 02:56 AM.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:02 AM

Go to http://www.gogole.com then go to tools then options and set it as your home page. After that login to your gmail account and use iGoogle link upper right hand corner.

#4 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:08 AM

If all else fails, try the Add to Search Bar add-on. Once the add-on is installed, go to your iGoogle page, right click in the empty iGoogle search box and from the context menu select the "Add to Search Bar" option. This will add iGoogle to your search engine list and it will make iGoogle your default search engine in the search bar until you change it to a different one in your list. The result will be, anytime you click on the search button, the iGoogle search page will come up.

I've had that particular extension installed for a long time and never had a problem with it. If you try it, hope it works for you too.

Works perfectly, now Igoogle shows up whenever I press "Search" on my keyboard. Thanks.

Edited by ixcuincle, 13 January 2011 - 07:08 AM.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:24 AM

You're quite welcome. Happy searching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users