Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How my ISP knows it's me and my router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

I'm quite familiar with communications but one question I cannot find an answer for is how my ISP knows that it is me connecting via DSL down my phone line (prior to using my computer). As far as I can tell, that must be done solely by my modem/router being physically connected to a particular phone line.

The router has no outgoing password that I'm aware of. Even if that were the case, or something like the MAC address of the router were used, it would mean you could only use the ISP's modem/router. Anybody?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nitekram

nitekram

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

So, I do not have DSL but rather Broadband - each time I switch out my router, I have to call my ISP and provide them with model number, serial number, and MAC for the router - I would think a combination of these would provide the ISP the needed info to make sure it is you. And some ISPs will provide you with a router/modem that can only be used for connection - just depends on the type of account and company.

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Thanks. I've never bothered to read my agreement to see if you can change modem. It was one of those temporary one page agreement of services on sale that became permanent! What you say makes sense and prevents anyone connecting at the local JB and pretending to be you, or at least using your bandwidth. It's strange that I cannot find any information by searching the Internet. Tons of articles on security, but not this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users