Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Problems.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:25 AM

I cannot turn my System Restore off and on anymore,I like to turn it off sometimes to clear months of old out of date restore points and data,or when cleaning out last traces of an infected files as they can be saved in System Restore.
Lately when I go to System Restore Settings,the "Turn off System Restore" button is grayed out and also says Disabled by Group Policy.Ii don't know how that happened but I'm wondering if a Windows Security Update did that...
Anyway I need it working,anyone know how it changed like that,and how to fix it,so I can turn it off/on like normal??
Help please! :rip:

Also I've always wondered why System restore works successfully sometimes,and other times(Usually when I need it most)it results in "System cannot be Restored to...date" :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Go to Start>Run, type in gpedit.msc, click OK.

Under Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, expand System, then click on
the System Restore folder.

In the right-hand pane, double-click on Turn off Configuration and, under the Setting tab, click in the radio button beside Not Configured. Click on Apply, then OK.

When a new restore point is entered it deletes previous ones. You don't need to turn System Restore on/off in order to delete the restore points.

Are you choosing restore dates that are highlighted when you get the message System cannot be restored to date?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yes I usually pick a restore date that is highlighted,in fact I create System restore points routinely,like when the system is running well,or I'm about to change something.Sometimes restore works,sometimes not...
I don't want restore to delete all my old restore points as I make new ones(If I don't have to,because sometimes you realize a problem stated say 10 days ago,so I can pick a point before then. Just after a long time I like to clean all the old ones out,gets to be a lot.
I'm just hoping to return Restore to original condition.
I'm really puzzled how System Restore was disabled by "Group Policy",and what the heck Group Policy is! :ranting:
Thanks for your insight.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Did you try the instructions I posted?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Not yet. Does that mean I will only ever have 1 restore point to refer back to and choose from?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Let's try the repair and see where it goes from there.

#7 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

When I go start/run and type in gpedit.msc,ok, I get an error message-"Cannot find gpedit.msc ,try to do it correctly again...,To search a file click start/search"
I tried several times.
I found I can turn Restore on/off by Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/System restore,and then there is a start/stop button.
But I want to release Sys.Rest. from "Group Policy" so it functions simply like before- System Restore/Settings/on/off...
I don't know where this "Group Policy" came from or why it changed.

#8 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Is there another way to access Computer Configuration besides start/run?

#9 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

dc3,I've tried to type gpedit.msc into "run",also tried gpedit,gpedit.exe but I get the same error message.
Here's some info if it helps,I'm using an XP Home computer,I'm just a home user and have never been in a network or domain. I can't find Group Policy or settings anywhere in my computer,searched everywhere I can think of,using info from My XP's Help menu.
I think I have Administrator's permission,user account seems to indicate that I'm owner/administrator...
Sorry for so long to reply,been a long work day.
I'll just follow whatever steps you suggest next...

#10 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

By the way,I found out on Google that Group Policy can also disable Autorun(Cd's and discs) and that's my computer's other problem(Autorun doesn't work anymore),and that problem happened about the same time as System Restore problem.

#11 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

OK,I got it fixed.
I don't know what the "Group Policy" mystery is all about,but I found a thread on how to repair "System Restore disabled by group policy". Had to go into regedit to system restore and delete 2 entries;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsNT\SystemRestore
-In the right hand pane delete Disable Config,delete Disable SR
-Close regedit and reboot.

I don't know how Group Policy was involved or if a virus caused this but I'm glad it's fixed. :clapping:

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

Hi -
Did you purchase this unit new and do the install with your own XP CD - The "Group Policy" item can come from buying a company computer or a pre-installed CD -
Group can mean a Combined Installation from a company or similar pre install - Is it a Dell that came with XP installed ??
Several reasons for this item -

Thank You -
From WIKI -
Although Group Policy is more often seen in use for enterprise environments, it is also common in schools, smaller businesses and other kinds of smaller organizations. Group Policy is often used to restrict certain actions that may pose potential security risks, for example: to block access to the Task Manager, restrict access to certain folders, disable the downloading of executable files and so on.
EDITED for extra Wiki information -

Edited by noknojon, 13 January 2011 - 02:07 AM.

#13 trappermike

trappermike
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:27 AM

I bought the computer brand new from a local computer store,with XP Home installed,it has the XP sticker on it.It's basically an LG tower and I think the dealer "Home-builds" the units he sells.I've had it almost 3 years now.I've never had anything to do with a network or domain,don't know anything about them,and certainly didn't buy or install anything that uses a group policy.
From what little I understand,this thing shouldn't have that stuff in it or activated?
I thought that my other computer problem might be related,my autorun wasn't working anymore,and it quit about the same time System Restore trouble started.I was reading today that group Policy can disable autorun too.
So I don't know how group policy got involved or if it was the trouble,or maybe some kinda' virus caused both problems,I'm baffled.
On another good note though I got Autorun fixed too tonite,I found a Microsoft Fix-it Tool #50475-Enable Autorun,so I ran it and now autorun works too! :thumbup2:
One of life's little mysteries that's never solved....?
Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users