Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jepoy1026

jepoy1026

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:29 AM

Hi. I got a problem with regards to booting my system. Well, It started when my unit just crashed while I was watching a vid on the web and eventually I resorted to pressing the reset button. But it won't boot after that. It doesn't even get to hardware checks like it normally does. I'm not really sure but I think the HD doesn't spin during that time and my several failed boot attempts. I managed to reach the log in screen once but then it hung and never made it to desktop. After some more tries, I decided to disconnect the ide connector for my Optical drive and I successfully booted my system with no problems.
My question is, Is the optical drive really the problem or is it caused by something else? I read from a post that it could also be a problem in supply of power which is my initial hunch.
Are there ways wherein I can determine and pinpoint the problem? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hard shutdowns are notorious for damaging system files...not sure if it applies here.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command on the hard drive, poassibly followed by fixmbr.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users