Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

packard bell laptop easy note

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigblue2

bigblue2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

hi my laptop was working fine until i put a memory stick and the screen froze i shut comp down by holding the power butting down
anyway when i switch back on it says on the screen not bootable cd in atapi cd rom could anybody help please as i work onboard a ship
and cant get ashore to get it fixed i would be really grateful or any help am lost without my laptop many thanks bigblue2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Forgive a silly question, but have you removed the memory stick? If so, and if you still can't boot, enter the bios and make sure your hd is at the top of the boot order, then reboot. What happens?

#3 bigblue2

bigblue2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

thanks for the reply i have tried that and now the screen does not show any warning it comes on as a grey screen with the options of f2 or f8 and then the screen goes black and stays like that,am gutted cos my laptop was working fine until i put my memory stick in its out now lol,would a computer shop be able to fix this or is my laptop finished

#4 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Your boot order probably has it set to load the CD/DVD drive before your hard drive.
Are you sure you don't have a CD/DVD inside the drive?
I wouldn't change the boot order until you diagnose the cd drive, make sure there is no cd
inside and that it is connected to the power supply as well as to the motherboard. Reseat
the connections if necessary. Reseat all the RAM sticks (make sure your computer is not plugged
in when you do this).
Yoshistr Support Team

#5 bigblue2

bigblue2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

hi there thanks for your help i have managed to change the boot order to the harddrive 1st.it was showing floppy drive 1st.i then tried to reboot but now i dont even get the error message i just get the grey screen that shows you the f2 and f8 option an then that goes off and back to a black screen any help would be grateful thanks very much

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

Can you boot to safe mode? When the system first boots start tapping the F8 (function) key to get to the advanced boot options screen. From there choose safe mode. What happens?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:55 AM

If you can boot into Safe Mode try using the System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

Press F2 to go into the BIOS, see if there any options to check do a Memory test on the RAM sticks, if not try to see if it shows how much memory is installed.
Yoshistr Support Team

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

I would reopen the laptop and make sure that the other RAM module is properly seated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users