Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer freezes under heavy load

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Will Ashland

Will Ashland

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

Hi, I read through some posts and couldn't find any that matched this problem -

First off, my specs:

AMD Sempron 3600+
MSI Motherboard
3 gigs of name brand RAM (I believe it's Kingston or Corsair)
Windows XP Pro 5.1 Build 2600 with SP 3
350w or 400w PSU

My computer will freeze when under certain kinds of high workload. For example, I edit music with Sony Acid 7.0. If I go to do certain things, like add a VST plug-in to a track, or if I have ACID running and open Firefox in the background, the computer becomes mostly nonresponsive, where the only thing I can do is hit alt + ctrl + del, and that will only pop up a task manager window which is fully unresponsive. I am inevitably forced to restart my computer manually.

I tried using Reaper, a similar type of DAW program but by a different manufacturer, with the same sort of result. I have swapped my RAM one time when it was having this issue a while ago, and it did not help. I can run programs like Counter-Strike without my computer ever freezing, so I don't think it's video related at all.

All help appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:17 AM

Open task manager to the Processes tab. Double click "CPU" at the top of the cpu column to sort on that column with highest usage at the top. Next time the problem appears, check to see if a specific process is hogging the cycles and let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users