Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTBACKUP Compressed or not etc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

Hi there,

I have an SBS2003 Server which backs up using ntbackup and has been failing for ages.

There is around 120GB of physical data. I have a HP DAT160 drive, 160GB compressed right?

I backed up to an external drive as a test and it backed up fine. The backup file was arounf 120GB so its not compressing it, any thoughts on this?
Brighton, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:06 AM

I am using the ntbackup within the SBS Wizard.
Brighton, UK

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Here are the specs: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06b/12169-304612-3446234-3446234-3446234-63890-3438739.html

As you can see it is 160GB max compressed at 2:1 plus the transfer rate is 49.3 GB/hr; Maximum, compressed 2:1. So there are two probable issues here. The first possible issue is that not all files can be compressed. zip, cab, jpeg, rar, and other such files cannot be compressed so will remain the same size. The DAT drive will hold only 80 GB uncompressed so you may very well be surpassing the capacity of the DAT drive at 120GB. Second is the transfer speed. If you have the drive set to back up in a certain time period then perhaps it is timing out before it is finishing.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 mar5hy

mar5hy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

There are a lot of jpegs, could easily be 40-50Gb. So jpegs can not be compressed at all?

Edited by mar5hy, 13 January 2011 - 03:54 AM.

Brighton, UK

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

That is correct as jpeg files are already a compressed format they cannot be compressed again. The same holds true for any other compressed format such as the other ones I mebtioned.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users