Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading memory in old laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 curiositykat

curiositykat

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

I have a friends Gateway MX6920 that I just helped remove some malware off of. Anyway the laptop is running Windows 7 32-bit and though it is clean currently its still slow/laggy. I am interested in what it would take to upgrade the memory to the max 2GB it can handle. The laptop specs are here. I've changed HDDs before, but never memory. I know how to access it and replace it on my own laptop. Once it is replaced though what kinda work is involved in getting the computer running again? Also from what I get I have the option of using two 1 GB ddr2 or one 2GB ddr2, or do I need to have two cards in it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

If you have replaced it on your own laptop, it shouldn't be much different from this one. There should be a panel on the back that you can unscrew to access the RAM cards.

You have 2 512mb cards in there now, so if you want to upgrade to 2GB, you will need to buy 2 1GB cards.

I would go to Crucial.com and they can scan the computer and recommend what is the best fit. And they are fair priced as well.

Good Luck!

Edited by AustinTerry, 12 January 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#3 curiositykat

curiositykat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

Ah wrong word, not replaced, but removed and put the same one back in when I was trouble shooting it.

From what I have read and what crucial recommends I think these will work?

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Ah wrong word, not replaced, but removed and put the same one back in when I was trouble shooting it

Same thing, remove old, put in new...

Looks good from crucial, good price too.

#5 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Make sure you remove all power to the computer before making any hardware changes.
Unplug the cord, turn off the psu if available, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds
to drain any residual current.
Place the RAM stick in the DDR slots, they are usually labeled DDR1, DDR2, DDR3 on
the motherboard in a white imprint.
Make sure you place them in order (for example if you have two 1GB sticks, put the first into DDR1 and
the second into DDR2 leaving DDR3 slot emtpy).
Yoshistr Support Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users