Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to add RAID+1 to my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Liquid_Squelch

Liquid_Squelch

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi All,

I currently have a Desktop computer that has been on for 24/7 since 2006. The original 160GB SATA drive is still humming away, but I want to make sure my data is safe. I really can't afford to have the machine fail or take the time to reinstall windows and my programs.

I would like to install RAID in my Desktop that currently doesn't have RAID at all.

The PC has a free PCI slot, so I know I need a PCI board. I have a brand new 500GB drive that is VIRGIN. I will be buying a 2nd new 500GB drive and a RAID board at the same time. I may decide to buy a 250GB drive instead and reformat an old 250GB Drive, and use the new 500GB drive for additional storage. This would bump my PC to 3 internal HDDs.

I understand that I should really get a RAID card that has a build in BIOS, so that the hardware controls the drives, and not my OS (XP) and the memory my other programs need.

That brings up 2 questions:
1- What would be a good card to get (preferably from NewEgg), that will cost AROUND $50 or less. (More is ok too).
2- What is a good method to determine how big of a power supply I need in the PC? I am upgrading from 2 HDD's to 3, plus adding a RAID card. The PC already has 2 CD/DVD Burners, a M-Audio 1010LT, and a Syba 6 serial IO card, and is maxed out on RAM. This is a Compaq computer, so I know they used "bargain" components.

Like I said, the PC has been online day and night since I purchased it early 2006.

Thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

I could never suggest a RAID card that isn't performed in hardware. I could not find any PCI RAID cards on newegg I would suggest. To give you an idea of the kind of card I would suggest check out this link (unfortunately it is a PCI-E card):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116075&cm_re=pci_raid_controller-_-16-116-075-_-Product

Also ditch the idea of using older drives since the likely hood of finding a decent IDE RAID card is really slim you will most likely have to go with two new SATA drives.

Depending on the processor family, memory specs, and video card I would say you should be good right around 450 - 500 watts if this is a non gaming computer.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users