Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD - kernal_stack_inpage_error

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#1 judyjht

judyjht

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have XP Professional on a Dell laptop Inspiron 6000 (5 years old). I take good care of it - my computer guy made me a "Maintenance" folder on the desktop so I run these programs about every other week to keep it in good shape. I also run Kaspersky Anti Virus 2011 and ran a full scan last night.

Recently - on occasion - I get the BSOD with the kernal_stack_inpage_error message. Not sure why but I read on one site to run chkdsk to see if that fixes it. Actually I ran it 3 times in a row today (that is what it said to do). My question is, how do I know if it actually fixed anything? Is there any way to tell - other than not seeing the BSOD any more. Anything else I should try for the BSOD. Thanks for any advice to have.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

Manually run Chkdsk
You can manually run the Chkdsk disk scanner. To do this, copy and paste the code below to your Run Box and click OK -
CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30
This code will reboot your computer in 30 seconds and auto run check disk - Just make sure all open programs (including internet) are closed then let it go - It runs the full 5 stage disk check and will try to repair any faults it can - It should take 30 to 45 mins, so do not disturb it until finished -
Give it a go first, then we can try other things later -
Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

Re the BSOD:

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 January 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#4 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

OK I will try that this AM and report back. I did get the BSOD again this AM with a different error - not the kernal one.

OX00000003
OX88E2D1C8
OX88E2D33C
OX805C8C7C

#5 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

noknojon - I just finished the step you said to do (I think that is what I did yesterday 3 times - all 5 stages). This time I saw - In Stage 4 said: Windows replaced bad cluster in file 12643 of name
\docume~1\judype~1\locals\locals~1\temp\Aria7ni.ttf It finished when I was not looking so that is the only thing different that I saw.

I ran it a 2nd time:

Stage 1 - deleting corrupt attribute record (128."") from file segment 52468 - then complete
Stage 2 - Index verification completed
Stage 3 - Inserting data attribute into file 52468 - then - usn Journal verification completed
Stage 4 - File Data verification completed
Stage 5 - Free space verification completed

I ran it a 3rd time - just to be sure there were no issues that needed to be corrected. This one seems to be "clean" or any errors. Here are the result:

Stage 1 - File verification completed
Stage 2 - Index verification completed
Stage 3 - Security descriptor verification completed and usn journal verification completed
Stage 4 - File Date verification completed
Stage 5 - Free space verification completed

Louis - I will do what you suggested next. I'll post the results.

Thanks, folks!!

#6 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

OK I just rebooted to get ready to do what Louis said and got the BSOD again - this time it said - DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR+EQUAL - then STOP - OX000000D1

God!!! Now what??

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Rec'c via PM: <<Hi Louis - I downloaded this like you said and hit RUN but it never scans. I don't see where I can manually start it - any ideas!?>>

If nothing is generated automatically in the upper screen...then you either have no .dmp files or they are not in the normal folder for such.

If you are getting BSODs without any .dmp files being generated...you probably need to double-check your settings for auto-reboot.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

The normal path for .dmp files is C:\Windows\Minidump.

Louis

#8 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

It was not checked in the first place.

Edited by Judith Peacock, 12 January 2011 - 03:02 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

Hi - Read PM -
<<DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL...STOP: 0x000000D1>> You hit the wrong key with + being added - This is usually a faulty driver or infection -
Do you recall where you downloaded this document from <<Aria7ni>> and is it music or scientific in nature -
You can respond or stay with hamluis if you prefer -

Thank You -

#10 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

I have no clue what the Aria7ni is - I do not download any music and definately not scientific in nature. Not sure what you mean about the wrong key??

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

(OR+EQUAL) - The usual item is OR_EQUAL in Post #6 -
\docume~1\judype~1\locals\locals~1\temp\Aria7ni.ttf - Please look in My Documents for any item that may look like Aria7ni, or it may have been repaired -
Do you have a XP CD to run sfc /scannow ?? If not we can run without it - Not as good but still checks system files -

Thank You -

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi - If you do not have CCleaner installed please follow these instructions -
Download and install CCleaner slim
  • CCleaner slim
  • Scroll down to the Slim version,
  • Click on the downloaded file "ccsetup_slim.exe" and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS including your Web Browser
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts
    Note, this will remove cookies as well so if you do want to keep them then uncheck them before running it.
This will ensure all (most) Temp Files are removed -

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

run chkdsk .... I ran it 3 times in a row today .... My question is, how do I know if it actually fixed anything? Is there any way to tell - other than not seeing the BSOD any more.

A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

Please post all the Disk Check logs you see there. It seems you have at least some bad sectors on the HDD.

How many hard drives &/or drives are in the system?

What exactly is in the "Maintenance" folder on your desktop? What programs are you running on a regular basis?

When you see a BSOD error message, it is important to look under the heading "Technical Information" and make note of any drivers or other info that you see included. It may be that there is no such information displayed below the *** STOP code, but if there is, it can often help to pinpoint the problem. I shall include an image below showing such information:

Posted Image

I did get the BSOD again this AM with a different error - not the kernal one.

OX00000003
OX88E2D1C8
OX88E2D33C
OX805C8C7C

It might help if you did actually post the error message that you saw. I can't be sure, but the numbers you posted look like the 4 numbers in brackets after the actual stop code?

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 January 2011 - 07:57 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#14 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

noknojon - I do not see Registry Integrity under the Registry tab. I have to see if I have the CD to run sfc /scannow

#15 judyjht

judyjht
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

I am totally lost at this point. I get to a certain point and then cannot see where you are telling me to go. Sorry. I think I need to take it to the computer guy. I am afraid I will completely screw things up and I need this laptop for work. I only have one hard drive and occasionally use an external hard drive to update my Quickbooks. This is the Maintenance schedule I follow religiously:

Microsoft update
Systweak - Registry Cleaner and Fixer
Systweak - Registry Degragger and Optimizer
Systweak - System & Disk Cleaner
Microsoft Outlook - Scanpst
PerfectDisk 2008 - Defragger
Chkdsk.dat

I do all this on a regular basis.

I think I am in over my head at this point.

I don't see a COPY button so I cannot send you the report from CHKDSK

Thanks for the help but I am completely confused at this point. Sorry to be a pain in the neck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users