Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blinking cursor after BIOS loads, before splash

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KarenRose

KarenRose

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

OK, I've exhausted my slightly higher-than-average computer knowledge, and can't even get IN the darned thing to see what's wrong :/

Dell XPS400 running Windows XP (SP2)
Loads BIOS then goes to blank screen with blinking cursor in up. left-hand corner, and that's it.
I can get into set-up, and the boot menu.
Boot device menu options are : onboard SATA HD, onboard/usb CDROM device, system setup, hard drive diagnostics, and Boot to Utility Partition.

What I've done so far:
Ran "hard drive diagnostics" from Boot menu, said everything's fine. (HD is Samsung SP2504C)
boot to utility partition = "utility partition not available"
Boot from XP installation disk. It's a friend's computer, & admin password not known (never used it day-to-day, nothing's pw protected, so they don't remember it), so I cannot "repair" from the XP disk.

Everything I see online assumes I can run in safe-mode, which I can't even LOCATE at this point. I know my Windows-repairing skills have gone down the toilet, since I'm a Mac and have been for 2 yrs now :thumbup2: but really, where the heck did it go?!
Anyway, I guess we can wipe it and reinstall, but is there a way to check that it's actually a corrupted file that's the problem, not some hardware that's dead, so I don't waste my time?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
:blink:
:::::::::I LOVE MY MAC!::::::::::
Now if only all my friends had macs...... GRRRRR!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

BTW, my friend said he was online in IE, with 2 windows open, tried to maximize one window, then it froze for a few seconds, then the blue screen that said "something about how 'if this hasn't happened before, just restart your computer', so I did and got that blinky thing". :wink:

Edited by KarenRose, 11 January 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

Boot to your friends XP cd and follow the prompts to get to the recovery console.
When it asks you what Windows version you want to log into make sure that the C: drive appears. You typically type 1 to select that one. If the C: drive does not appear make note of that & post back.

When the recovery console asks for an admin password leave it blank.
It should leave you at a c: prompt
From there type "dir" without the quotes for directory & hit enter
Peruse the list & see if anything appears scrambled.
If you get any error messages please post them

Try that for starters and let us know
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

"The password is not valid. Please retype the password."

A friend/ professional happened to stopby, he's looking at it... You can close this & if there's still a problem, I'll make a new post!

THANK YOU!!!

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

Hope they can get it taken care of for you.

Let us know what the end result was
Curiosity killed the cat you know
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 KarenRose

KarenRose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

LOL, I know!! It was killing me, because I thought there HAD to be a way to not have to reinstall windows, but that's just what he did! We both thought it was hardware-related, but it seemed to load up fine after that, so maybe it was a nasty virus, because the 20 yr old boy was on there just prior to the crash. Who knows WHAT he was downloading! AND they told me that they haven't updated the antivirus in a month because their subscription expired.... <_<
Anyway, I still have to load all the anti-virus/malware/firewall stuff, but there's a biiiig snowstorm heading our way, so they'll just have to not use it until I can get back there in 2 days to make it ready. (they have 2 laptops AND an iPad, so I don't feel bad for making them wait, haha!)

Thanks for your willingness to help, you guys are always so great!! I usually can find a fix on here without having to post; you are a great resource! :inlove:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users