Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eee pc 900 XP possible ani-virus infection

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ricksal

ricksal

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

I believe I picked up an anti-virus software infection a couple of days ago. Now the PC (EEE PC 900 running XP)won't boot in any mode beyond the first entry screen. I have UBCD4Windows on a CD and can boot that up and have tried to run rkill in that mode but it keeps telling me (I have run it about 20 times) "access is denied" is that because rkill won't run in this environment or is the virus defending itself. I have run various antivirus/malware programs which have removed some issues but none seem to solve the non-booting issue.
I'd be grateful if anyone has any recommendations.
Thanks
Rick Salmon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,567 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

I have asked someone that handles non boots to look here when they can.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hello there,
What do you mean by the "first entry" screen? Do you still see the XP splash screen? After that, what happens, does it just freeze up, or do you see a blue screen with an error message.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

animinionsmalltext.gif

#4 ricksal

ricksal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Hi
Thanks for coming back. The system goes dead immediately after the screen that says press F2 to enter bios or F8 to go into safe mode. If I press F2 I can get into the bios and if I press F8 I can get into the screen where safe mode is offered but the system won't boot into safe mode or any of the other options.
Rick

#5 ricksal

ricksal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hi again.
I just realised I didn't answer your other question. The screen goes black but briefly the cursor shows. There is no blue screen.

Thanks
Regards
Rick

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

Do you have your XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 ricksal

ricksal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

Hi Elise
It's morning here in the UK...I have an XP CD that came with another (much older) pc and have tried to reinstall windows from it but when it gets to the setup stage it tells me to use control panel to make changes to windows and I don't have access to control panel at that time - I don't have cds with the service packs on.
Thanks
Regards
Rick

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:38 AM

No problem, any XP CD will do.

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type fixmbr and press enter. Note - if you get a message about non-standard or corrupted MBR, you can continue. Do NOT continue if you use drive encryption!!

Then type EXIT and press enter. Let me know if you can boot normally now.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#9 ricksal

ricksal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi Elise
I wonder if the cd I have is not a normal XP installation cd it is called Windows XP OEM Preinstallation kit though it seems to have XP on it.
When I boot it up it goes into an opening screen with no words on it then the command prompt comes up in a window. When I enter "setup" it runs through a Win PE checking procedure and finishes in a command window in system32 directory
when i enter setup it comes up with a window saying "please go to Control Panel to install and configure system components". Of course I can't get to Control Panel.
Perhaps I need a different CD.
Thanks
Regards
Rick

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

Create the following CD and try to use that instead.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

#11 ricksal

ricksal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hi Elise
Thank you so much. The ARCDC CD and fixing the mbr worked like a dream. The system now seems to be fully functional but I will run Malwarebytes and a couple of other malware scans just to be sure.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Rick

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

I'm glad to hear that Rick! Let me know if you need any help making sure the computer is clean.

regards, Elise

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users