Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adding second hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lensel

lensel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

what steps are taken to add another hard drive on my computer. iam new to this. also, a friend gave me this hd, so should i be worried about viruses

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum!

"so should i be worried about viruses "
Probably. You never know what the person before you has done.
If the drive is formatted and wiped clean that is no longer a possibility though.

What make/model of system are you planning on putting this into?
We need to look up the system config to ensure that the drive will in fact fit into the case first.

Also, what is your intent for the drive?
Are you going to just use it for additional storage?

Pls post the make/model of the drive as well.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

IMO...users should always be concerned about malware...when attaching any device not acquired new. If malware can exist on a device, it can be transmitteed by exchanging such devices.

As for attaching an additional drive to a system...there are considerations.

a. Type of system (laptop or desktop).
b. Hard drive connections available on the system.
c. Cables which might be required...for connection to both motherboard and power supply unit.
d. Type of hard drive. Generally, there are two type, SATA and PATA.

A quick look at the graphics Here (Figures 1, 2, 3) gives an idea of the physical differences regarding connections on each. Although the graphic doesn't show it...the PATA/IDE motherboard connection on a drive...is considerably larger than that used for SATA drives.

The first thing that I would do with any drive which I did not acquire new...would be to delete everything that might reside on that drive. I would delete all existing partitions, if any...after ensuring that my system is well protected from malware.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 January 2011 - 12:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users