Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard will not type some letters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Calsatch

Calsatch

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

During the last few days when I type at my normal speed various letters are not printed on screen, it's the same in any program or email.
HP Pavilion zd8000 running XP with at least SP2 (Think SP3 is loaded...)Google email Google Chrome or Firefox for email. AVG 2011, Comodo, Spybot & adaware
Skype was updated in recent past.
Since oading AVG 2011 full scan takes 14 hours but that' another problem!
Any Ideas how to cure this?
Happy New Year!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovewindows

lovewindows

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

Have you tried another keyboard?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

Try another keyboard as suggested. If at all possible, try this keyboard on another system as well to see if the issue follows the keyboard. If it does, replace it.

I used to be a die hard AVG user but I dont like version 2011. It tends to slow a system down and the scans take forever. Ive since switched to Avast and like it a lot better.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 FIDELIS_IT

FIDELIS_IT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

From searching online I have found that your HP Pavilion zd8000 is a laptop. When this start happening on laptops it generally means that the keyboard is going south. What letters are not printing when you type? L? G? If that is the case you have to choices:

1. Get a usb keyboard for your laptop
2. Get a replacement keyboard.

You might want to try this....sometimes it helps:

Turn of laptop.
Unplug power cord.
Take battery off.
Press power button for about 30 seconds.
Plug power cord.
Turn on laptop to see if keys are working.
Put battery back on.

Hope that helps.
CARPE DIEM

#5 Calsatch

Calsatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for the advice It is indeed a laptop, however I see that there are issues with Skype, if it only affects Googlemail. But it may be the keyboard.
living where I do Amazon to the rescue? However if I type slowly it works O.K. Repeated letters,I,E,R,S,D, A, L,P,N,space bar,are the usual culprits. But it came all at once rather than gradually makes me wonder before I go to replace keyboard i.e. findout first. thanks C

#6 Calsatch

Calsatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Depowering the computer worked! thanks for the simple fix, what have we done? all the best C

#7 Calsatch

Calsatch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2011 - 09:57 AM

thanks to all who replied, the simple fix did not work on Monday morning so out and got a new USB keyboard. (I have a USB Mouse already) so that's it fixed for now. Looks like a new Computer will be on the shopping list for my birthday, but 4.99 is the cheap immediate cure. not the best but it work!
thanks to you all C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users