Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP!!! PC Blank screen at start up and 3 sec`s beeps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hamtastic

Hamtastic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

OK no windows not even that BIOS stuff just blank screen and beeps roughly every 3 seconds

Heres the things i`ve tried so far...

Windows XP Home Edition CD wont work

Removing stuff give it a clean and slotting back in didn`t work

And heres a quick guide to whats happened so far...

I had this problem before but some times it would start up and say theres a nostkrnl.exe missing or corrupted, i tried eveything on the windows cd recovery console what people told me to do but it didn`t work
So eventually i thought what the hell and decided to reload windows... which was a complete success as it kinda went over the top of the old ones so i could find my old files and stuff

Unfortunately i turn it off and then on again the next day and i`m back to the beeping and blank screen... and this time theres no getting into safe mode or windows CD or anything :o

Please Help.... :blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:16 AM

If it was a desktop computer it has an external monitor, most monitors
show a configuration screen when first powered on until it receives a signal.
Turn the monitor and computer both off for a few seconds, turn the monitor on
you should see the default config screen for it with possibly a logo of the manufacturer,
turn the computer on, does the monitor turn black or does the configuration screen still show?

Next thing is what make and model is the computer? If it is a dell desktop you should be able to locate
4 LED lights on the back near the USB ports labeled A/B/C/D when you power your computer on and hear the beeps
see if any of these lights turn on and take note of them also take note of the beep sequence (# of times and how many
times it occurs also how frequently).

Report back with this information.
Yoshistr Support Team

#3 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

I would guess you have a broken RAM card.
Usually 3 beeps is RAM failure
Try testing with other RAM, if multiple cards are installed, try using only one at a time.
You could also try changing graphics card
Most likely RAM trouble thoug, is tied in with software problems.
If you do manage to boot up, try using MEM test from a Linux Live CD, is one of the best memory diagnotics tools out there.

Edited by cheardrums, 11 January 2011 - 12:17 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Im thinking bad or loose RAM as well.
Pls post the make/model of the system so that we can get the specs on it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Hamtastic

Hamtastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:20 AM

OK My PC is a Cybercom (medion) about 8 yrs old it has a AMD Athlon thingy, i have a G-force nividia graphics card... The F5500 (i think)

The beeping is constant every 3 seconds

One other question... if i cant fix it can i still connect my friends Laptop and take my files and photos from it?
(And will i need USB to USB or some other lead?)

I`m using an internet cafe at the mo, so my replies will be once a day i`m afraid :(

I`ll try the monitor stuff and the graphic card idea when i get home and i`ll report back tomorrow (I`ll get more info about my PC too)

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:10 AM

How to Test your RAM

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to check whether your system's RAM (Ramdom Access Memory) is working properly. Bad RAM can lead to a whole host of problems, often which do not appear to have a single cause -- appearing as systemwide glitches, blue screens, and other system trouble. MemTest86+ provides a very good detection mechanism for failed RAM, and is about as good a test you get short of actually replacing the module itself.

Tools Needed
Please perform these steps from a separate, working, machine.Perform these steps on the problem machine.
  • Put your CD in the drive and configure your machine to boot to the CD. This is different on all machines, but it's usually by pressing F12 or F10 as your system boots, and selecting either "CDROM" or your cdrom drive. If you are unable to force a CDRom boot, reply with the make and model of your machine and I should be able to get you exact instructions.
  • If you've done it correctly, MemTest86+ will start to run automaticly, as shown below:
    Posted Image
  • If you want to be reasonably your RAM is OK, then allow MemTest to run until you see this message:
    Posted Image

On the other hand, if you want to be completely sure your RAM is OK, allow MemTest to run overnight. Memtest will run forever until power is pulled on the machine.
  • Check the MemTest screen for any reported errors. Errors will appear as RED warnings at the bottom of the screen, similar to the following screenshot:
    Posted Image
  • Hard-Reset the machine, removing the MemTest disk in the process.
If you didn't get an error screen, Congratulations! :)

Compliments of Billy O'Neal.

#7 Hamtastic

Hamtastic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

OK i did the monitor on off stuff... that didn`t work

I tried taking the sound card out and turning on the PC... that didn`t work

And that stuff above wont work as my PC wont read any CD, DVD or even my Windows XP CD

Could someone just tell me if i can get my files & pics off this PC by connecting to another please :wacko:

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:22 PM

Have a read here: How to install a second hard drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users