Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Aero

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

I've been reading a lot of Windows manual optimization guides that suggest disabling Windows Aero to increase system performance. This simply is absolutely, for surely, can't be any more not true because it's total garbage (and it's just not true). Do not disable Aero if you wish to achieve greater system performance.

Aero was a good idea. Why?

Ok so here's what this thing actually does... Aero provides a way for the user interface (windows, taskbar, widgets, background, etc.) to be recognized as a GPU task instead of a CPU task.

Why is this a big deal?

It just so happens that your GPU (Graphical Processing Unit) is better at handling graphical elements than the CPU (central processing unit). Who woulda thunk it?

Disabling Aero will force the CPU to take over rendering of the UI which is more work than it needs. It's already processing instructions such as services and applications. Disabling Aero gives the CPU more work and will slow your system down. I guarantee that disabling Windows Aero will make your computer slower. I don't even have a heavy GPU. All I've got is some stupid, worthless Intel Graphics Accelerator Chipset garbage and it still proceses the UI with Aero enabled better than the CUP does when Aero is turned off. And if you know anything about these dumb Intel chipsets, you'll know just how impressive this is... and shocking too.

Soooo..... DON'T DO IT!!! :)

Mkay... thanks buh bye.
for3ver,
goose90proof

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

You may have a point, but I think you're missing a few factors here. CPU isn't normally the bottleneck causing low performance, far more common is insufficient RAM. Which takes more memory, holding half a dozen images with alpha channels and other blends or holding a single bar? Likewise if you happen to use your GPU more heavily than your CPU (some gamers perhaps) it would be better to dump a smaller task of the simple UI on the CPU than to dump the whole thing on the GPU.

It's also worth noting that you can turn off the fancy graphics aero comes with (such as translucent selection boxes) to make the UI a lighter load even without switching to Vista Basic or Windows Classic. This certainly does improve performance.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#3 troublesh00ter

troublesh00ter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

Regardless, GPU handles graphical elements better than CPU. Although, RAM is an extremely important factor, especially if the GPU has to share RAM with the CPU, this is about the relationship between Aero and the GPU.

It's also worth noting that you can turn off the fancy graphics aero comes with (such as translucent selection boxes) to make the UI a lighter load even without switching to Vista Basic or Windows Classic. This certainly does improve performance.

Yes, you can disable many of the enhanced graphical effects and not lose Aero. Things like transparency, fancy window movement and all that stuff can be turned off without sacrificing the presence of Aero. However, changing the theme to Vista Basic or Windows Classic is a non-Aero theme. This may improve performance in some instances but not overall. The CPU does not render as fast as the GPU. <===This is exactly why Aero even exists.
for3ver,
goose90proof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users