Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Going Blank

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rowerms

rowerms

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

Alright, so, here is the gist of what is going on.

My HP dv5z-1000 laptop is having some display issues. At completely random times the display will go blank, while the backlight and the computer itself remains on and running. Sometimes it will do this as soon as I turn it on, other times I can use it for hours without the problem popping up.

Before my battery died (2nd one in 2 years) I could run it on battery for hours and it never happened. HP Tech is completely clueless and wants me to send it in, which is laughable.

Steps I have taken so far:
Tried Updating Bios
Resinstalled Power Management and made new power plan
Reinstalled Display Drivers
Have run Kaspersky and found no Viruses
Hooked it up to my TV as a external monitor and couldn't get it to replicate the issue.

More Interesting tidbits:
When I prop the back of the computer up, it seems to help the issue sometimes, so It could be an overheating issue I guess....even though it sometimes does it within minutes of being turned on.

There was one instance where the computer turned itself off after giving a BSOD, which then threw up an error code upon restart. A few days later it turned off and when I turned it back on it went into Check Disk mode but as far as I could tell that was the extent of the error.

Essentially, I am puzzled. I'm wondering if the hard drive is failing or if the motherboard is going dead. Or perhaps my charger is causing the problem somehow....No idea.

Any tips? :blink:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

31 people as utterly confused as me...lol

#3 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Something I've noticed recently: when starting the laptop up after it has been off for awhile, it will go blank almost immediately, but when restarted it seems to typically behave for a decent amount of time.

Possibly a connection going bad?

Help?

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Could you possibly test this by connecting a regular monitor to the back of your laptop to see if i does the same thing then?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Ive tried hookign it up to my TV that I use as a monitor sometimes. Can't seem to manage to get it to replicate the issue when it is hooked up...

As for a regular monitor, I don't really have access to another monitor.

#6 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

Little bit of an update.

Apparently the laptop not doing it while it was hooked up to the HDTV was just dumb luck. As I type this my laptop display is blank, but the Display on my HDTV is working fine.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

Possibly a connection going bad?

Sounds like you solved your own problem.

Either you have a damaged wire in the area of the laptop hinge, or you have oxidation build up on one of the ZIF connectors.

Either that or the switch that turns the back light on is faulty.

This would require going in side the laptop to fix.

Are you comfortable with doing this?

If so, we may be able to offer some guidance to you.

Otherwise, it's time for a visit to the repair shop.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:20 PM

I'm not a hardware wizard by any stretch of the imagination, but if it was a wire in the hinge, wouldnt moving the hinge make it flicker? I could have it sitting on a counter top and not touch it and it could go blank.

Also, if the backlight stays on and the monitor goes blank, wouldnt that mean that the backlight is working fine?

No clue what a ZIF is though.

As for going into the laptop myself, I dont think I trust myself doing that. Too many small pieces for my taste. I about had an anxiety attack opening up my PS3...lol

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

LOL yes the PS3, I have worked on a few of those consoles, where the owners broke the ZIF flip off of the connector that connects the Blu-Ray drive to the PS3 motherboard.

Those ZIF connectors I speak of look something like this:

Attached File  ZIF.jpg   6.1KB   1 downloads

Once those flips are broken off of the connector, the connector can no longer hold the flat ribbon wire in place.

that requires a connector replacement and there is like 80 miniature connector pins that have to be soldered to the motherboard. (Not possible using a standard soldering iron) those have to be re-flowed by placing the whole board into special ovens.

Those connections can become victims of oxidation, early signs of oxidation is intermittent (come and go) video issues, over time, these symptoms get progressively worse.

It might be best if you have this unit serviced by a professional, you won't regret it and the repairs will be covered by some warranty if the problem persists.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 rowerms

rowerms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

That seems to fit the bill....

Any idea what something like this would cost to repair?

Thanks!

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Any idea what something like this would cost to repair?

Thanks!

Not a clue, since repair shops can decide what their "in the door fees" are and then we are talking about the cost of the required parts, which at this point there is no way to know exactly what they may find once they start the repair.

If you want a guess from me, if it is repaired locally with no shipping costs involved, the cost may be in or around $80.00 to $150.00 USD.

Usualy labor fees range anywhere around $80.00 an hour. But the shop may just charge a flat rate of $80.00

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users