Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

back up using D location

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shane-N

Shane-N

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

I have had this PC for almost a year no and have yet to back it up, but now that i have really become interested in it i would like to back up all my progress. I use windows 7 32/64. In the controll panel>systems>backup It appears to be very simple so simple i am not sure i am doing it right. I do not have a flash drive but i have a huge stack of blank cd's so i opted for backing up using the D location. This is what i did. I put in a disk formatted it so i can make changes if i want witch was one of two options. The other option was to format so changes can not be made. Then i just clicked back up computer tab that cordinated with the D location. I am not sure if it is done because it says nothing, there was never any kind of prompt? Can everything on my pc fit on one file?
Namaste

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lovewindows

lovewindows

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

It depends on how much you need to backup, it should tell you.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:31 PM

Is the "D" location your DVD\CD drive? You should have seen some indication of it working when you chose the files you wanted to back up.

If "D" is the manufacturer's recovery partition, then, that's not the place to back anything up.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Shane-N

Shane-N
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

What i mean by d location is the cd/dvd drive. I want to back up my whole system in case of a crash but after some investigation i found out the cd is way to small anyway. What im looking for is the process for backing up my whole set up in case of a crash.
Namaste

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:56 PM

Well...each backup utility (there are tons of them) has its own way of functioning.

Some back up to CD, some don't. Some span multiple CDs, some don't.

In short, it seems that you need to read the documentation on how your backup tool works...what it will do and how it will do it.

If you are using the Win 7 function/tool...that's the one that you need to read the Help files and such for.

Louis

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 15 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

See if this recent thread answers your question: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic373527.html/page__p__2094959__fromsearch__1#entry2094959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users