Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Wininet.dll File - Im A New User Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SShabaj

SShabaj

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:34 AM

Hello everyone,

I appologize if i am posting this topic in the wrong place however, Im a new user.
Ok heres the deal...
I am overseas serving with the US military and I started up my computer this morning and when I clicked on my user name in the startup a icon came up saying

"Explorer.exe - unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because WININET.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this program."

I click on OK and i come up to my desk top however, the only thing i see is my wallpaper. there are no icons no start menu no toolbar nothing.
can someone please tell me what to do step by step.
thank you in advance
SS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:58 PM

hitting alt-tab should give you back your desktop icons, or failing that rebooting.

It is a strong possibility that you have a trojan virus that has replaced the legitimate wininet.dll. Do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs?

If so run them and see what they find.

If you don't have such programs try avg http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

there are a number of good freeware anti-spyware programs including adaware, spybot and microsoft anti-spyware.

You might also run a hijackthis log and post it. For information on how to do that go tohttp://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

After you are sure your computer is clean, here is a site that will provide you with a fresh copy of wininet.dll and instructions on how to install.

Edited by franktiii, 10 December 2005 - 03:06 PM.

#3 SShabaj

SShabaj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:26 AM

I tried hitting alt-tab and nothing happens.
when i get to my desktop with nothing on it the only way i can do somethings is by hitting ctr-alt-delete and do things through task mannager. i cant even restore my laptop i put the restore disks in and it just goes to the desk top. i hit autoplay through task mannager and that same bleep comes up missing wininet.dll.
i backed up everything i needed so if i could restore this thing i would be very happy. i also ran norton anti virus 2004 and it found one file and deleted it. it was something like "bloodhound.??" it didnt help. i put in the Operating Systems CD and it says u have a later version of xp and you can not continue. if you do continue you will loose some files. the continue button is there but i cant click on it because it isnt highlighted like the cancel and back button. ive tried everything and nothing happens. can someone please help i will pay for assistance. my laptop is a HP zv5240us.
thank you guys in advance

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

Are you able to get internet access?
If so, run these online virus scanners:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also this online Trojan scanner:
TrojanScan

You can get a copy of wininet.dll here:
wininet.dll
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users