Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP in place of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 billlaux

billlaux

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Woud like to know if I can take a computer with Windows 7 on it and reformat the hard drive and then load Win XP on it so it only runs XP. My local computer guy says it can't be done. He said that you can go forward but not backwards on the operation system. Is that true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

If you use a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the hdd you can then install whichever operating system you want. Overwriting the hdd will wipe out everything on it, so be sure this is what you want.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:28 AM

Check driver availability first for the computer in question. This can be done by going to the manufacturers site. Some sites call it the Support section others call it Drivers and Downloads. Enter the requested info for the particular make and model. If they have drivers listed for XP you can do it with no problem. Even without the manufacturers drivers it can still be done, but if XP does`t include native support for some devices, NIC, sound, video, etc, you will have problems.

As Dc3 stated. Wiping the hdd and installing XP, or any other OS is always possible.
IMO, I`d start going to a different PC shop. Think your local Tech guy just is`t telling the whole story.

#4 billlaux

billlaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:15 AM

I posted the original question. Instead of wiping the HDD and then installing Win XP, what if I have a new spare HDD with nothing on it. Can I just install that and then load Win XP on it? Will verything work then or am I missing sonething?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:24 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If you have a legal retail copy of XP that hasn't been installed previously, or is no longer installed on another computer, then yes you can install it on another hdd.

Your original question regarded removing W7 and installing XP, why were you interested in removing W7?

Was W7 an upgrade from XP? If this is the case, then the tech is correct, as far as that goes. You can't revert back to an earlier version of a Windows operating system after upgrading to a newer one.

Edited by dc3, 11 January 2011 - 01:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 billlaux

billlaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:31 AM

Hi DC3,
Thanks for the info. I bought an HP computer with Win 7 on it. My daughter is going to take it but she wants to stay with Win XP.
I thought I could just install a new hard drive or reformat the old one and then just install Win XP. When I mentioned it to the computer guy and he said you couldn't go back, he probably thought, as you said, that it was an upgrade to Win7. So I should be able to just put in a new hard drive and load XP and be in fat city, right? I see there are a lot of XP programs on eBay.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:15 AM

That will work, but I don't understand why you don't just wipe the hdd and install it on it rather than purchasing another hdd.

Are you considering installing the hdd with W7 on it in another computer?

#8 billlaux

billlaux
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

I started this post a while back and then forgot about it. (Senior moment). I am still wanting to try to do this. I have a new HP Pavilion Elite HPE 240F. I have a new full copy of Win XP Pro with SP3. I would like to wipe the hard drive on this computer and then install the Win XP system on the computer. As I mentioned, my computer shop said it can't be done. Checking with them again, they still say "it can't be done as the companies don't maker drivers for XP anymore." Replies have indictaed that the computer shop isn't givving me all the info. I thought Win XP would have all the drivers in the system that I would need. I still can't understand why it can't be done. If I was to buy a case and install new components and then load it with Win XP, wouldn't it work? What is the difference between that and wiping the hard drive on this HP and installing the Win XP? Am I missing something? Appreciate all the replies I have received so far.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

As stated by the computer shop. Drivers, which are a piece of software that interacts between hardware and the operating system may not be available for that machine once XP is installed.

The XP disk has many drivers included on it, but not all that may be needed.

I just checked the HP Support & Drivers site. Entering the make and model number you provided it seem`s very limited support is offered for that PC if XP is installed.

This does not mean it can not be done.
What it does mean is that XP may contain all the drivers needed.
Or, the drivers may be available else where but can be very time consuming to track down.
Or they may not even exist. In which case you wind up with a nice computer that is not fully functional if working at all.

Also. When building a new machine. One of the things you check for when deciding on what parts will go into it is are the compatible with the operating system you plan on installing.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

I found a wrinkle that may be a deal buster.

Note: 32-bit PCs can only address less than 4.0 GB of memory. This motherboard is not planned for use with a 32-bit OS.

I did a search for information on the motherboard of this computer and found that it is a MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E). I did a search on this motherboard and found the information posted above at this web site. If you scroll down to Memory Upgrade Information and expand the list the information is an addition at the bottom of the list.

#11 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Your idea of using a second hard drive has merit as then you will have a fall back if things dont work out well.
Otherwise, the advice of the other posters is spot on.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

Note: 32-bit PCs can only address less than 4.0 GB of memory. This motherboard is not planned for use with a 32-bit OS.

Great catch Dc3 and a definite deal killer IMO.

#13 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

I understand that billaux's daughter likes XP and wants to stick with it, but it strikes me as a lot of messing around try to get this particular PC to run XP. I bet that if she gives it a try, she will get used to Windows 7 in a very short time and will be happy with it. Also, since Micro$oft has stated that they will stop supporting XP in 2014, she will be happier to have an operating system that is more fully supported in the long run.

Just my two cents worth...
Bill253

#14 Coalbunny

Coalbunny

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

Bill253, I think I understand why billaux's daughter prefers XP. I tried Win7 myself and if anything it was a huge PIA. AFAIC I'd rather have Win98 instead of XP, but then, Win98 is no longer supported either. I have to say that XP is far better than Vista, better than Win7, and if Microsoft were to provide continuous service to XP I think they'd be hard pressed to find anything as good as XP.

But then, that's also just my opinion.
I'd still rather have Win98.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

Win 7 will, in the end I believe, make it`s mark as a fine OS. XP had it`s growing pains too. Vista was, despite the time it took, rushed to market. Many feel Win 7 is Vista + SP2.

My personal opinion. I will resist playing MS`s revolving OS game as long as I can. They are currently planning\on schedule to roll out a new OS every couple years +\-. With each new version they take more control away from the End User. For a Power User like myself......I do not like it.

I stayed with 2k till the wheels literally fell of. Then I was seduced by the eye candy not available in NT based OS`s. /rant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users