Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant find CMOS battery in Acer Laptop

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AustinTerry

AustinTerry

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

I have a friends Acer Aspire 4730Z laptop, I have taken it completely apart to get to the motherboard (or main-board as Acer calls it), thinking the CMOS batter would be there like in normal computers. But it nowhere to be found. Is it possible this model does not use the typical round, flat CMOS battery? It is not on either side of the mb, nor on the top or bottom panels.

If someone is familiar with this and could tell me if I'm looking for the wrong thing or not, I sure would appreciate it!

ps, the reason I'm looking for it, is the laptop won't boot up at all, and researching show Acers seem to have a common bios issue, so I wanted to pull the battery out for a bit and see if it would reset the bios as the first step.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

Check out these instructions.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Check out these instructions.

Thanks for the reply, but I had already checked out that page. I wish it was that simple. Maybe it is for the 4720z, but on the 4730z, you can't even pull the back panel off per those instructions, one has to remove the front switch cover, keyboard, front panel, etc, etc, to access the motherboard.

A also searched all over the mb for a "black disc with red and black wires", and nothing like that to be found.

Here is a link the the service manual that shows the setup, maybe somebody can look at the pics and see something I cannot...

4730z Service Manual

#4 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

After reading some stuff on-line, it seems some of these Acer laptops might not use a CMOS battery anymore. Instead it may gave a capacitor of sort that is soldered to the mb.

So If I don't get any info one way or the other by tonight, I'll look really close again, just to make sure, then put it all back together and try flashing the BIOS by using the fn/esc key and a bootable CD with the .FD file burned to it.

If anyone has done this before, I would sure like some pointers. Here is a link to one of the forums that have directions in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Repair a failed BIOS update

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

Acer computers are equipped with the Acer eRecovery utility tool, but you have to be able to access All Programs in the Start menu. That's real helpful when you can't boot the computer! <_<

Can you boot into the BIOS?

I would suggest that you find a retail copy of the Windows operating system that is installed on this computer, it will have to be the same version, eg Home or Professional.

With the installation disk you can access the Recovery console where you will have options for repairing the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the reply again. But no... it wont boot into BIOS or anything. The light comes on at the switch, but just remains at a blank screen (like a bad motherboard). That is why I am going to try and force it to boot from Cd or USB and re-flash the BIOS, hoping that the BIOS is somehow corrupted and not a bad mobo.

I may have a bootable Vista disk (it has Vista Premium). If I can force boot that, would repairing the OS, fix a BIOS problem?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

I'm not convinced that your problem is the BIOS.

Not being able to boot into the BIOS usually indicates that there is a hardware problem.

What operating system is installed on this computer?

Edited by dc3, 12 January 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#8 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:25 PM

It has Vista Premium.

I'm just going off of all the reading I did (over the last few days) from other people that seemed to have the same problem. Allot of fixes were done by re-flashing the BIOS.

But I'm always open to better/different options!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Is this computer powering up?

Any LEDs light up?

Can you hear the hdd spin?

If there is a optical drive, does the tray open?

#10 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

The only things that happen, is the power button lights, the power led on the front panel lights, and if I have it plugged in, the battery led lights. There is a 3rd led which I think is the HDD led, and it does not light.
I cannot hear the HDD spinning. I did not try to open the CD drive, but I am pretty sure it would not. (I don't have it here with me to try right now.)
If I plug a usb optical mouse into it, it wont light up when you move it, just nothing.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Try booting from the Vista installation disk.

#12 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

Try booting from the Vista installation disk.

I'll try force booting into it tonight when I get home...

#13 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

A few things to check on the motherboard that can cause POST failure:
-Make sure the capacitors are not blown, leaking, or buldging at the top
-Make sure it is dust free, remove the heat sink fan, heat sink, and cpu,
remove all dust with a can of compressed air, reseat the cpu, secure the heat sink
on top, mount the fan back on.
-Verify that none of the power cables from the power supply/power jack on motherboard (laptops)
looks fine and has nothing wrong with it (on laptops make sure the solder joints to the
motherboard are all clean and have a peak to them)

Another thing is if it won't boot into BIOS and fails at POST then the CD/DVD/flash drives
will not auto-boot contents up on most computers. This is because the BIOS has settings
determining what to load up first (HDD/CD/Floppy/etc), some BIOS chipsets have a backup
copy of settings that run and it will work but in this case it seems to be a POST problem.
See if ASUS has any post diagnostic leds either on the motherboard or accessible on the case.

*Make sure when you make any hardware changes the power cable is disconnect, battery is removed
on laptops, and there is no residual power on the circuit board*
Yoshistr Support Team

#14 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

Well I did get some different things to happen. I took out the battery, put the Vista Recovery Disc in, held the fn and esc keys, plugged in the ps, (the power button and led would flash 1 time), and pressed the power button. I could the actually hear and feel the computer trying to access the optical drive, the fans would come on, and sound like the hard drive was going.
But nothing on the monitor, just total blankness. I tried several other bootable CDs, and all the same. While it is in this state I can open the CD drive, and pushing it back in, the light on the drive flashes a few times like you would expect it to. Actually I just put the battery back in, turned it on normal, and could hear the CD drive make noise along with the blinking light.
But other than that, nothing. No fans, but if I put my ear right up against it, I can hear the hdd. I am able to open and close the CD drive now either way. Any ideas?

Edited by AustinTerry, 12 January 2011 - 09:22 PM.

#15 AustinTerry

AustinTerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Well, by chance I seemed to have fixed it. On a hunch, I took out the RAM, I had taken it out several other times but always put it back in the same slot, but this time I put in the other slot, and sure enough, it booted up!

So I suppose there is a problem with the initial slot? Maybe a solder joint gone bad?

Anyway, it is up and running now.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users