Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Issues?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 xedden

xedden

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

System specs:
Old Antec P160 case
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
Abit IP35 Pro XE motherboard
PC Power and Cooling 750W powersupply
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro Cpu fan
Intel E8400 CPU
EVGA 7900 GTO graphics card
Couple HDs, DVD drives, USB connectors, etc

Okay,so I have been using this setup without a problem since mid 2008 (does not seem that long). About a month and a half ago my computer started to randomly lock up. Screen would freeze, sound would freeze on either no sound or a screech. Nothing short of a reset will do anything to it. But if I press the reset button everything will start to fire up for about 5 seconds then shut down again, start to fire up again but the LCD on the mobo stops at 7F and there is no display to the monitor. The only way I have found to get around that is to reset the cmos, then it boots fine. This problem has become increasingly common, but is very sporadic. Sometimes it will go days between issues, sometimes it will do it 3 days in a row. I reformatted my harddrive to see if maybe I had something on there that was causing problems and I have had a lot of stability problems since. I will get errors when I try to install stuff, things dont run stably, etc. I have done error checks on both harddrives and run memtest on the ram and everything came up fine. Recently I have been getting more random issues. On some bootups now I get a C1 error on the mobo lcd (which is a GPU error) and I have once had a 9.0 error (bios issue). All of these seem to be temporarily fixed by clearing the cmos. Then yesterday the temperature display on the front of my case died (bios temp sensors seem to be fine).

The broad range of issues seems like it might be a motherboard issue to me, which I am really not looking forward to replacing. However, some other things I have read point to RAM or GPU. So before I go buy stuff and tear this thing apart I wanted to see if any of you had any ideas about what the issue could be? Thanks a lot and I appreciate the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:47 AM

If you are needing to reset the BIOS repeatedly I would change the CMOS battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:08 AM

Also for a variety of seemingly unrelated misbehavior, examine the board for any electrolytic capacitors looking unhappy - bulging, cracked, leaking.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users