Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Pro SP3 won't install; STOP: c000021a Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 smileandwave

smileandwave

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

Summary: Using Windows Update, I'm unable to install Service Pack 3 on Windows XP Pro on new hard drive.

Background: Dell Vostro 1700 notebook with 3 Gb RAM and 320 Gb hard disk. I was installing a new replacement hard drive due to poor health of old drive (Dell diagnostics showed risk of failure). (System has only one HD.) Installed Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 CD. Installed as many recommended drivers as possible, downloaded earlier per Dell's list of drivers for Vostro 1700 (audio and video drivers failed to install). Installed Comodo Firewall, Avast antivirus, and Threatfire. Connected to Internet and did ISP's (AT&T) setup. Began Windows Updates. When installing SP3, it stalls about midway through the installation process, with smbinst.exe using 50% of CPU and 2+ Gb of memory (Page File ramped up and held steady at 2.63 GB). Progress bar hangs; after 20-30 minutes, get Blue Screen of Death with message:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I had to force a shut down with the Power button. Upon reboot, get message "Setup was interrupted. Restoring prior configuration" ... and system automatically did a two-phase roll-back of the partial SP3 installation.

Then I had the message:
winlogon.exe encountered a problem and needed to close.

I've been through this attempt 3 times. I've tried to research this on Microsoft, Dell, and forum sites, and found material such as:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669
...and...
http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm
...and (of course)...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

...but I'm not experienced at using/reading Doctor Watson and memory dump files, etc. and was hoping there was an easier way to diagnose & resolve the problem.

Should it make any difference if antivirus and firewall is turned off when installing SP3? (At risk of getting infected, I tried that on the 3rd attempt at installing SP3 and it didn't help.)

Is it possible to install SP3 while WinXP is in Safe Mode ... and is that more likely to work?

Is it possible ... and any advantage ... to download SP3 to my PC and install from there, rather than using Windows Update?

Is there any preference in using Last Known Good Configuration or a prior System Restore point?

Is it advisable/unadvisable to have Internet Explorer 8 installed before trying to install SP3?

Any suggestions?

TIA,
SmileAndWave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:56 PM

I have had similar problems with some computers in the past. My solution was to create a slipstreamed installation CD that included SP3 using Nlite. then install from there. If I have to run it on an existing computer I always do it locally rather than using windows update.

Remember that Microsoft says the SP2 should be installed before installing SP3. I have never had need to do this but my guess is some computers need one of the updates in SP2 so the SP3 doesn't crash when installing. Of course if the SP3 updates are already slipstreamed into your install disk (because SP3 in a culmulative update to SP2)than none of this matters.......
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

I always put all of my ducks in a row. I use a sp2 install disc out of laziness. Then I go and do updates.
I have had some problems installing with a sp1 disk, and even threw out the disk so I wouldn't use it again!

Maybe instead of using the sp2 update disk, just go to windows update at that point. Is that an available update?
Might have to get from download center, I don't remember.
Could be a chance your sp2 or xp install media is scratched/damaged?

Slip-streaming is pretty cool if you have the patience.

Slight chance that the old hard drive was not the real problem too. Keep that in mind.

I would approach the installation in a different way if the same errors keep happening at the same place.

Did you reboot before you installed sp2?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:22 PM

You can also download SP3 here... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en ... it is meant for IT prof's or for those who administer multiple comp's, I used it to update a friends machine with no probs at all. you just need to burn it to disc with your disc imaging software...I personally use Infra recorder... http://infrarecorder.org/ it is free and easy to use.
Iain.

Edited by odin88, 10 January 2011 - 06:26 PM.

our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

You may want to review:

Dell - Installing SP3 - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=47DABAC4EAEE89F3E040A68F5A282CDA&doclang=en

Dell - SP3 FAQ - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=4B7BF14FA25A4429E040A68F5A282C3C&doclang=en

Louis

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:55 PM

2nd link says document not available, try again later. Just sayin.

Frank O' The Mountain

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,544 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Thanks, not much I can do when Dell pulls the support page :).

Louis

#8 smileandwave

smileandwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Thanks to all for ideas thusfar.

To clarify, my WinXP Pro reinstallation disk from Dell *is* Service Pack 2. So I'm using Windows Update to update SP2.

Pardon my ignorance. I've heard the term slipstreaming, but don't know what it is or how to do it (or why). Pointers to any tutorials?

Is slipstreaming preferable to using the IT-grade SP3 download which odin88 references? (I had seen this download earlier, but wanted your collective thoughts before trying that option.)

Any responses to my other questions above:

Should it make any difference if antivirus and firewall is turned off when installing SP3?

Is it possible to install SP3 while WinXP is in Safe Mode ... and is that more likely to work?

Does it make any difference if Internet Explorer 8 is installed before trying to install SP3?

Ongoing thanks,
SmileAndWave

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

I would not install any programs until all updates were in. It's ok to leave the xp firewall on.
I would not install a service pack in safe mode. I don't think it will let you.
I would install IE8 after sp3, even though it does not sound logical at 1st.
( again, not sure if you even can do it in the order you suggest)
I would use the sp3 download.
I would skip the slip for now.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 10 January 2011 - 07:28 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 smileandwave

smileandwave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Update: Success!!
I used System Restore to back up to the point after I'd installed SP2 (from Dell's CD) and drivers - i.e., before the point where I had installed Comodo Firewall, Avast antivirus, and Threatfire and the initial batch of Windows Updates. Downloaded the SP3 installation referenced by odin88; used Infrarecorder to put this file on CD. Again installed the first round of Windows Updates (omitting Internet Explorer 8 for now, per FrankOtheMountaiN's suggestion). When time came to install SP3, I used the CD; it hung forever at "Finishing Installation: Performing Cleanup" but I kept seeing CPU and disk activity every 20 seconds or so and just left it alone. Finally got the successful installation notice. (I didn't do a victory dance, but should have, given the pain/hassle this has been and the relief I suddenly felt!) Proceeded with all other High-Priority Windows Updates, including IE8, with no problems.

Now I'm ready to move forward with installing apps and restoring data files.

Many, many thanks for your collective help, dear BC gang! I hope I can help others on this forum sometime.

SmileAndWave

#11 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

Good work!

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users