Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Suddenly Spazzes Out

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jade Knight

Jade Knight

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

I just recently got a laptop from a family friend they used for a long time. They got it from a pawn shop originally but used it for playing World of Warcraft for a good number of years. They upgraded to a PC and I got it from them. After using it for around a couple weeks it all of a sudden starts to act funny. The first incident is the laptop freezes during a game and both touchpad and USB mouse become unresponsive. After restarting it a couple times it either freezes during loadup, restarts fine then freezes later, or acts like it is starting up and the LCD is not on. I've had two blue screen instances, one blank, the other saying it had a hardware failure. Occasionally it tries to run Startup Repair, but it sometimes freezes during it or on opening. The speakers have been having crackling as well every now and then.

It hasn't fully loaded up well since then, so I'm confused on what it could be :/.

Edit: The blue screen with the error on it says "The computer must shut down. It encountered an irrecoverable hardware failure."

Posted Image

Edited by Jade Knight, 10 January 2011 - 06:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 04:06 AM

What is the make and model of this computer?

What operating system are you running?

Please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.

* Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
* Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
* When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
* Insert blank CD and click OK.
* The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.

Run chkdsk.

* Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
(You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.)
* Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
* After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
You should now be at the Tool options screen.
* Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
* Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
* When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
* Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

I ran the program, had to restart it once because the speaker crackling made my keyboard unresponsive. Once it ran the chkdisk I got this error:

Causeway error 09: Unrecoverable exception. Program terminated.

After which it returned to the X: prompt.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:04 AM

You stopped the chkdsk???

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

What is the make and model number of the system?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

It stopped itself, it gave that error and was waiting for the next command. As for the computer specs, it's a Toshiba Satellite A135, runs Windows Vista 32 bit.

#7 Jade Knight

Jade Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:42 PM

I ran through the boot disk process again and it gave me that causeway error again, so I CAD to restart it. Once it started I got this error: 0701-USB Over Current on HC - Bus:00H Dev:13H Fun:01H. It loaded to Windows but froze up and blue screened.

#8 Sullenity

Sullenity

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Blue screens can be caused by many things such as viruses, incorrect drivers, bad ram, or even bad hard drives. If possible, run Toshiba's diagnostic tool which apparently can be reached by START--->ALL PROGRAMS--->TOSHIBA--->UTILITIES--->PC Diagnostic. If the computer can boot into (F8 after POST) safe mode and does not lock up you can run antivirus. In instances where there isn't a reliable hard drive diagnostics tool available, I backup the computer and do a clean install of the OS. If this fails, it's a bad hard drive. If the computer blue screens in safemode, it's screaming out for a reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users