Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Boot Drive to SSD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P1atinum

P1atinum

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Over the last several months I have been rebuilding my system and now want to add an SSD and an additional HD. I would like my the SSD to be my boot drive with my OS On it and use my "new" 1.5TB hard drive with my "old" HD 1.5TB in a Raid 0/1 configuration. My overall question is what is the best way to accomplish this.

Current Components
MB = Gigabyte GA870-UD3
CPU = AMD Athalon X3 440 Rana 3.0GHz unlocked
HD 1 = WD 500GB Caviar Black (boot drive and some storage) 350GB of 500GB used
HD 2 = WD 1.5TB Caviar Black 190GB used
RAM = Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2) under clocked at 1333MHz
Video = EVGA GTS450
OS = Windows 7 64bit

Want to add
SSD = Crucial C30064GB SataIII
HD = WD 1.5TB Caviar Black

My goal is to move just the OS to the SSD and Raid 0 or Raid 1 the two 1.5TB drives allowing me to remove the 500GB drive all together.

Can I just clone the OS? If so how will that impact the file management that I already have place? Would it be better to do a freash install of Windows 7 on the SSD, then move the files I have from the 500GB drive to the Raid array?

TIA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

P1atium,

The best way that I would do is a fresh install with these steps:

Move as much data to the 500GB Hard drive from the 1.5 TB (Your not going to have enough room on the 500GB for all files)
then Remove all Hard Drives except the SSD, Do a Fresh Install Your OS,
Add your 1.5 TB with the rest of the files and move your files to the SSD temporary (should be enough room for the rest of the files that weren't transferred to the 500GB),
then add the other 1.5 TB and RAID them, then Move your Files to your RAID.

Hope this helps!

#3 P1atinum

P1atinum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

Nate, thanks for the input, I also have an external drive I can store files on if I need to during the install.

Next question, Raid 0 or Raid 1. I do a lot of Video editing and would like faster write speeds but also like the redundancy of Raid 1. how much slower is write on a Raid 1 vs Raid 0 or how much if any of a performance improvement would I see on Raid 0 or 1 vs just keeping the drives seperate?

#4 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Well,

Raid 1 will be slower because it has to write to 2 hard drives at once but it gives you a backup of the drive in case if 1 fails and reads twice as fast.

In Raid 0 will be fast but completely unreliable, if any hard drive fails complete lost of data.

Mostly, Raiding is just for server environments to improve networked reads and writes through speed and reliability.

Personally, I would leave them separate and possibly mount 1 to a folder of the other.

Read this, It may help your understanding.

#5 P1atinum

P1atinum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the help,

I just finished up loading W7 to the SSD and installed the two WD drives without raid. Maybe in the future when I have more funds I will build a raid 1 backup server or set up a 0+1 in the box.

I have been working on Reg edits to help facilitate loading all the programs/files/whatever to the hard drives instead of the SSD to keep it clean and tidy which I hope will keep the OS running quickly. I may end up installing some of the Video programs on the SSD to help the speed of conversion and editing, but so far I am pretty happy, that may not help much if itís writing to the WD drives but I will play around and see how it does.

Next I need to load all the programs and files from the old WD drive and clean it up..

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users