Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slipstreaming SP2 & SP3 into Win XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry42

Jerry42

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Hi all. My need is to understand which Service Pack I need to add to the slipstream DVD I plan on building.
I Have read many guides on how to do it and feel confident I can pull it off.
My question is do I only add SP3 to Win XP home SP1a or do I have to add SP2 first and then remake another ISO
using the ISO file I made containing SP2 and add SP3 to it? Or can I add both to the ISO file at once and expect the install
will run both updates in order?
I have more questions but will post them later to try and keep the responses simpler.
Thanks for any help you may give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:45 PM

If SP1a is part of the main XP files used as the base for the updated CD...then SP3 (which includes SP2) is the only added set of files which must be added.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

I have created slipstreamed XP CDs using guidance from various websites...I find using nLite to be the easiest, most reliable method.

Louis

#3 Jerry42

Jerry42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

Louis, Thanks for the quick response. Your info is exactly what I wanted know.
should I start a new topic for my next slipstreaming question or keep going here?
Thanks again, Jerry

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

Stay tuned to this station :).

Note: Since there are any number of guides which instruct on what the exact steps are...bear in mind that each guide may vary in detail from each other.

Louis

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

SP3 is a cumulative update. Every critical update that existed before SP3 was released is included. So if you used an installation CD that was pressed before any service packs came out and slipstreamed using only SP3 all of the critical updates up to that release date would be installed.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

"In order to install SP3, you must first have Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed. These are also available when you have Automatic Updates turned on. For more information about these and other Windows service packs, go to the Service Pack Center."

Direct quote from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/learn-how-to-install-windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3 .

There was some confusion...before the SP3 package actually came out and many thought that it was a cumulative install, not requiring anything other than a "naked" Windows SP install. This was corrected when the package actually came out and some of us discovered that the above quote is true.

Louis

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Straight from Microsoft Technet:

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) includes all previously released updates for the Windows XP operating system, in addition to a small number of new updates. Windows XP SP3 will not significantly change the Windows XP experience."

The only reason SP1A or SP2 is required when installing from Windows Update is all of the service pack files are not installed throught Windows Update just the ones relevant to your system which is what your link refers to. SP1A ans SP2 add updated installer files required to install SP3 through Windows Update. This is the reason I do not use Windows Update to install Service Packs. Installing SP3 using the full download network install version does not require SP1A or SP2 to be installed. Nor do you need to slipstream them in addition to SP3 since as stated above it is a cumulative update.

Edited by Baltboy, 11 January 2011 - 05:28 PM.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#8 Jerry42

Jerry42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Thanks guys really appreciate the good info,
Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic