Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie6 Quits Working After A Minute.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mike1

Mike1

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:07 AM

Hi Every-all,

Have a Dell 8200 running Win XP Home. The Dell is on a LAN (DI 604) into a Verizon ADSL modem (Westell Model 2200). This problem surfaced a month ago (11/05) after a few years working fine; and the problem is the same despite ethernet cable and NAT port swaps. The problem: After booting the machine, the Internet Explorer works fine downloading sites for about a minute. Following that, no matter the site requested, I get the familiar "The page cannot be displayed" screen. I've tried too many things to list in total, but here are a few: 1) checked IE and OE settings (comparing the settings with our functioning Dell 3000), 2) swapped out the NIC with a known good one, 3) ran Spybot, Adaware, & BulletProof (no spyware); downloaded and ran McAfee Security Suite (no viruses) and, 4) slimmed down the hard drive by removing 3rd party programs, downloaded songs, word documents, etc.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:25 AM

Conduct a speed test, and post the rests. I would be willing to bet that you have a wiring problem. Ran into the same problem. Turned out to be squirrls chewing the insulation on the cable between the house and pole. I saw a huge kps drop just before it went out.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Acklan,

Rebooted Troublemakerone (new name for this Dell), called up IE and it downloaded Google News as it should, I called up www.toast.net and ran the Internet speed test, here are the results:

Text Test Results

Loaded 340,781 bytes in 2.031 seconds from ADDR.com server.

Your Results: 1342 Kb
Verizon: 1075 Kb
Bellsouth: 1215 Kb
Avg. Results: 1353 Kb
Charter: 1461 Kb
Adelphia: 1746 Kb
Comcast: 2083 Kb

The above suggests the wiring is okay (my results: 1342 kb versus avg results: 1353 kb; no significant difference) and experience supports this as per the following: 1) swapped a known good computer with Troublemakerone (same room, same wiring, same NAT port), new computer worked fine and 2) swapped a known good performing computer (different room, different wiring, different NAT port) with Troublemakerone, Troublemakerone failed. And, currently, the bad Dell is interfaced with our good Dell via KVM switching in the same room with the Westell and D-Link; the Dell 3000 is working fine, the 8200 is not.

I almost get a sense that Toublemakerone is taking an inordinate amount of time to complete it's boot process, at the end of which IE cannot successfully call up any URLs (though email is accessible and my wife claims secure sites can be accessed at all times). But, within the boot process there is a window of opportunity when IE will work until the boot is completed. I have McAfee Security Suite running, Windows Security disabled (as far as I can tell); the problem existed prior to the McAfee installation and when Windows Security Suite was supposedly running (though I had a hard time finding any antivirus program running at that time, and only after downloading and installing McAfee did I find something reminiscent of Norton antivirus software).

I'm thinking a fresh install might be the only solution; but would like to avoid that if there is a fix available.

Thanks,

Mike

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:11 AM

Read this article on how to run from the command line in safe mode. This should catch the virus prior to it loading. The Stinger in this page may be of benifit. Let us know how it goes.

#5 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:27 PM

Thank you much Acklan - I'll give it a try after putting up the holiday decor and removing 14 inches of Winter precip from the driveway. Living in New England is sooooo much fun :thumbsup:

#6 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

Sorry 'bout the double post, but my wife bailed on the holiday stuff for today and the driveway, well, that's what 4-wheel drive is for.

Anyway, I downloaded, saved to desktop, and ran the Avert Stinger Removal Program; nothing showed up as a virus. I'm assuming the Stinger removal program was what Acklan meant to try. In any event, that was the only operable link available for XP users that led to functioning site.

TTFN,
M

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:01 AM

Try thefollowing. Go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Secrity and reduce the security settins.

#8 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 03:55 PM

Try thefollowing. Go to Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Secrity and reduce the security settins.

Hey Acklan,

Thanks for getting back to me. Tried IE>Tools>IO>Scy and attempted to lower security settings by left clicking Custom Level>Selecting Low from the drop-down menu>OK or Reset (tried both). Whenever I called back Custom Level settings it was set to Medium, though. Ditto for lowering settings on Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted Sites. Could be I'm doing something wrong, but it seemed kind've self explanatory. BTW, were you suggesting I run the Avert Stinger Removal Program (ASRP) offered on http://www-tus.csx.cam.ac.uk/virus/PCdownload.html? ASRP was the only link that worked from that site. Also, I didn't mention that ASRP was invoked while not in Safe Mode (when in Safe Mode I didn't see the program available); I hope that didn't interfere with ASRPs ability to function correctly. And, more info (though maybe nothing of value), when IE6 is working and a site has been requested (Home page, something from Favorites, etc.), the line on the bottom bar says "Connecting to Google News" (for example); but, when IE is in failure, it says "Connecting to 216.239.37.99."

I don't know if it's the next step, but I'm gathering all of the original software, manuals, etc. to do a fresh install of XP. I've done some research on the reformat/reinstall; some suggest it's simple, others imply that a lot of flaming hoops will need to be jumped through. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mike

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:06 PM

That was the link I was referring to. I hate to see you reformat/install. If you decide to it should be easier then this. :thumbsup:
Do a low level format just in case.
I'll keep thinking for the possible fix. Sorry I can't be of more help at this time. :flowers:

#10 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:17 PM

That was the link I was referring to. I hate to see you reformat/install. If you decide to it should be easier then this. :thumbsup:
Do a low level format just in case.
I'll keep thinking for the possible fix. Sorry I can't be of more help at this time. :flowers:

This problem's been a weird one :trumpet: Can't wait to start doing this: :inlove:

Thanks A,

Mike

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

Sorry I'm late! :thumbsup: But, I too was shoveling snow (and a bit of skiing too!). I really should move back to Texas (from CT) to get away from this white stuff!

Have you tried an alternate browser to help to isolate this problem? I'd recommend giveing Firefox at try (http://www.mozilla.org).

If the problem doesn't occur with it - then it's an IE problem and you should probably do a repair of IE (link on "how-to" here: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=318378

If the problem still occurs - then it's a problem further down the line. This includes WinSock fixes, NIC card drivers, resetting modems and routers - and finally checking all of the connections to be sure that they're clean and solidly connected. This might even call (in an extreme case) for a repair install of Windows ("how-to" here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm )

Edited by usasma, 12 December 2005 - 11:33 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

Howdy folks -
Thanks for all the input Acklan and Usasma - about the only thing I'd not tried was an alternative browser. Anyway, I got real sick and tired of working on the thing and threw it out my second-story window :thumbsup: Just kidding - I did the reformat/reinstall thing and the Internet is working just fine now. I have one problem that cropped up as a result of the process and I think it's posting justifies a new thread. See y'all shortly, and thanks bunches :flowers:

Mike

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:54 AM

Thanks for letting us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Are you configured with a static IP address or DHCP for your Internet and LAN?

#15 Mike1

Mike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:51 PM

Are you configured with a static IP address or DHCP for your Internet and LAN?

DHCP. The Westell 2200 (What a piece of work that thing is) is set in bridged mode so it doesn't interfere with the D-Link which acts a DHCP server. Each computer is set to "Obtain an IP address automatically." And it does to, or it gets a spanking.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users