Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files and Programs gone after reboot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boer84

Boer84

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

One computer is running very slowly and upon restart all files created or programs installed after the last restart are gone at start up.

I did not take a close look at it yet, but what got me is that it supposedly deletes files that were saved or moved to a networked drive as well.

Now if there was a restore running every time it restarted, or a unwanted program deleting all newly created files, how would it delete files on a networked drive?

Any Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

I did not take a close look at it yet, but what got me is that it supposedly deletes files that were saved or moved to a networked drive as well.

Hi -
I would say to have a "close look at it first", as when you are asked detailed questions about the system / models / and exact reactions of the items that you vaguely describe, you will be able to give a much better idea of the problem -
Please post back after checking as much as you can -

Thank You -

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

This sounds extremely odd to me.
I would backup your data just in case.

Check the system for spyware with MalwareBytes Antimalware
Download, install update and run it. Do the full scan & see if it finds anything.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Boer84

Boer84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

OK, I took a "closer look" at the machine. It is a XP Professional SP3 32bit.

As I first suspected the program Deep Freeze is used to continually restore the machine to what it was since the last restart.
I ended the instance of it in the task manager, deleted all of it I could find, but upon restart it was back.

So it seems my options are to remove the hard-drive and access it with another XP machine and PE builder. Remove a few instances of Deep Freeze in the registry, then reinstall the hard-drive and reboot.

Edited by Boer84, 11 January 2011 - 09:08 AM.

#5 cheardrums

cheardrums

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

If you terminate Deep Freeze in task manager like you say, usually that change is not kept.
So it's no surprise it came back

Posted Image

#6 Boer84

Boer84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Ok, now I cleaned up the HD of Deep Freeze, but now the PC doesn't Startup.

It powers on, there is no POST beep and no video. I made sure all connections are made, checked RAM to make sure its still good and that CPU was seated.

I used a PCI POST/Mobo diagnostic card which displayed 2.6.2.5. And according to the manual this is what I got:

25 25 Read 8042 keyboard controller for turbo switch setting if any clear password
if POST diag switch is on

26 26 Initialize global RAM data area for turbo switch

But I have no idea what that means. Any ideas?

Edited by Boer84, 12 January 2011 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users