Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive won't load

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 atwittsend315

atwittsend315

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

How can I tell if a HDD is bad? I bought a new hdd about 11 months ago and transferred everything from my existing hdd. I got a virus which was removed with the help of bleeping computer. The hdd was working great, no major problem until this past thursday when it wouldn't load past the dell logo (beeps and goes to a blank screen with a blinking cursor). When I tried to boot it in safe mode it would lock the keyboard and again goes to a blank screen with blinking cursor. I've tried to repair window with my cd and did a fixmbr, but it still didn't work. I'm wondering now if it's a hdd issue as opposed to a software issue. How can I tell? I currently put this hdd as the slave and my old one as the master. I'm having problems with that because I know that the old hdd is bad, but I'm not sure if it also has a virus because the microsoft updates keep failing to install. I have stuff on the new drive that I don't want to lose so is there a way to tell if it's a hardware or software problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

<<How can I tell if a HDD is bad?>>

Of course...there is no 100% effective manner :), unless it's totally dead, IMO. It's pretty easy to diagnose failure of a drive to be detected and/or give any other indication that it's capable of functioning properly.

...and there are key indicators (hard drive noise) which are not to be ignored.

But one of the surest, easiest ways...is to use the diagnostic utilities developed for this purpose by the hard drive manufacturers.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users