Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User accounts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sabaithaime

sabaithaime

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

When I got my new windows 7 laptop I began using the default admin account. I read somewhere that it is not wise to use an admin account for day to day usage. I spend MOST of my time on the internet

My question is: Can I transfer all of my files, folders, programs and setting over to a standard user account?

Is there a better way to achieve the same thing?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

What is the name of the account you're using?

I believe the Administrator account is hidden by default in Windows 7, so whether you're actually using the true Admin account, or just an account with Administrator privileges is probably the real question

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

I believe the Administrator account is hidden by default in Windows 7

True.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 sabaithaime

sabaithaime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

What is the name of the account you're using?

I believe the Administrator account is hidden by default in Windows 7, so whether you're actually using the true Admin account, or just an account with Administrator privileges is probably the real question

How will I know the difference?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

You have to run a special command to enable it, so if you didn't run anything, you're not using hidden account.
See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 sabaithaime

sabaithaime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:53 AM

You have to run a special command to enable it, so if you didn't run anything, you're not using hidden account.
See here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/

I believe I have been using a standard admin account and not the hidden account. I have resolved this issue now and thank you for your time.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,612 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users