Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar changes

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kryptonite

Kryptonite

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

There was an opportunity few days ago to see a list of things that "start up" when the computer boots up. Most of the things were familiar to me but there was this one item that referred to either "taskbar" and or "teakbar search" i left it as it was and now the taskbar has chnaged to this: ( see attachment )

How i got to this start menu view i am not sure. i know that i can right click on the taskbar, unlock it, and make changes. But i found it by looking for something else.

As if it wasn't enough to have it change on one computer it also changed on my Vista laptop with the battery condition button disappearing resulting in the computer shutting down on it's own. How do i restore the taskbar to default to see if presents itself again?

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

you could either do a system restore, or you could reboot into " Advanced User Mode " by pressing F8 and scroll down to LKGC " Last Known Good Configuration " any of the should take you back to wn the PC was running in a better state before this started happening !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:22 AM

That looks like the Mozilla Firefox icon. Did you try Right Click on it and look at the properties? Have you recently added Firefox to both of your computers?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:54 PM

When taskbar is unlocked, drag the little divider over a little so you have more room.
You have one line sharing you quicklaunch bar and open windows bar.
Either divide up the space, turn off the quicklaunch bar, or drag the whole bar up a little to gain another row.
If you do that, then you can drag the divider down to another level on it's own line.

It's a delicate touch to master the taskbar, but it's worth the aggravation to make it how you like it.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:53 AM

you could either do a system restore, or you could reboot into " Advanced User Mode " by pressing F8 and scroll down to LKGC " Last Known Good Configuration " any of the should take you back to wn the PC was running in a better state before this started happening !

Sorry that it has taken this long to get back to reply to these posts about the task bar issues. I'm not sure that restoring is what I want to do for this unexpected change.

I've run all of the programs to check for virus's and advance ware and everything comes up clean. Somewhere there must be a place to adjust and or customize this thing. It also seems to effect the way the desktop appears prioritizing a window that i am working in and keeping everything else available through a toggle to the left pf the clock grouping.
Thanks for your help

#6 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:57 AM

That looks like the Mozilla Firefox icon. Did you try Right Click on it and look at the properties? Have you recently added Firefox to both of your computers?

i've been using Firefox for a long time but it seems that updating to the latest version may be related to these other changes. If it's a feature of the browser i'd like to turn it off.

Do you know if 3.6.13 causes changes like this?

#7 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

When taskbar is unlocked, drag the little divider over a little so you have more room.
You have one line sharing you quicklaunch bar and open windows bar.
Either divide up the space, turn off the quicklaunch bar, or drag the whole bar up a little to gain another row.
If you do that, then you can drag the divider down to another level on it's own line.

It's a delicate touch to master the taskbar, but it's worth the aggravation to make it how you like it.

I know that those dividers change the look of the taskbar but it's puzzling me that certain icons that i think of a givens are gone. So, for instance, i have no idea how much battery is left on this laptop that i'm using. To change that i would think would meaning going into the control panel or somewhere where i would need to check or uncheck an icon. i do not recall doing that. Now the clock side has 3 icons: Bluetooth, Avast, and clock. There is no divider to drag left to lengthen it. So if the battery gets too low the computer just goes into sleep or hibernate mode.

As i mentioned in another post. The only change that i have made lately is downloading firefox 3.6.1.3

#8 Jay18

Jay18

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Without seeing the rest of your taskbar it looks like either the quick launch section is expanded too far or there is an extra divider on the task bar and your open program tabs are being moved over to the right. Are you using quick launch icons?

To restore your battery icon you'll need to go to the power settings in the control panel. There's a box in there to restore it to the system tray.

#9 Kryptonite

Kryptonite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:40 AM

Without seeing the rest of your taskbar it looks like either the quick launch section is expanded too far or there is an extra divider on the task bar and your open program tabs are being moved over to the right. Are you using quick launch icons?

To restore your battery icon you'll need to go to the power settings in the control panel. There's a box in there to restore it to the system tray.

I got back a few of the icons that I want to see/have access to. I am guessing that a check mark that said
"hide icons if not used" I unchecked that now.

But where did that toggle button come from to the left? See picture attached above. This toggle does not allow my windows to be cascaded. No one uses my computer except me and interestingly enough it is on a computer of mine that I keep at my parents house. I see if I right click that there is a cascade option and that might be the option that I was looking for but that scroll up/down button is new and not one of my favorite things.

#10 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:52 PM

ok first off every one seems to be talking about different things.

if you are talking about the little "up/down arrows" they appear when your window list gets to big... you need to hover over the " | " thing to the left of your window list till you get a double arrow. " <--> " then drag it to the left to make more room for more windows.

if you are talking about the weather thing you should be able to find that in the "add and remove programs" in your control panel and remove that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users