Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird graphical glitches

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jumpman17

jumpman17

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

I'm working on a computer that hasn't been used since 2007, and after awhile I started noticing weird graphical glitches.

When I first got it, I removed some viruses/malware from it, removed the old expired Norton Internet Security on it, installed SP3, started Windows Updates, and after a couple rounds of those, I deleted all the files in the temp folder under the user account (around 8 GBs) and ran CCleaner afterward to clean up other junk, registry errors, and remove unneeded start up programs.

Somewhere along the line there graphical glitches started happening (or they had been there the whole time and I just noticed them as I was to the point where I couldn't hit a button and come back in an hour and start the next thing). I've attached 2 pictures of some of the glitches. Other symptoms include the screen going black for a second sometimes when loading or closing a program, 1 pixel height lines about a quarter of an inch long in random places that come and go, and the word Start on the Start bar just being the shadow and missing the white letters.

Since then I have updated the video card driver to the newest version, installed the newest DirectX version, and finished all Windows Updates. The errors still continue.

I'm out of ideas of what this could be. Is something overheating? It's been running for about 8 hours straight now and the cover isn't even on. Would reinstalling Windows fix it?

Computer information:
CPU: Intel Celeron 346
RAM: 1.25 GB Single Channel DDR (1 1GB PC3200, 1 256 MB PC2100)
MB: Micro-Star International Co, LTD MS-7071
Graphics: 64MB GeForce MX/MX 400
HDD: 200 GB Maxtor IDE
Audio: Realtek AC'97

Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

# MSI MS-7071 VIA P4M800 Socket 775 mATX Motherboard

# General Features:
# VIA P4M800 chipset
# Socket 775
# mATX form factor
# Supports 533/800 MHz Front Side Bus (FSB)
# Supports Intel Hyper-Threading technology
# Supports up to 2 GB DDR RAM (DDR333/400)
# S3 Unichrome Pro Integrated Graphics
# Realtek ALC655 6-channel AC'97 integrated audio
# Realtek 8201CL integrated 10/100 LAN
# Two (2) Serial ATA (SATA/150) controllers
# Supports Serial ATA RAID 0, RAID 1
# Two (2) UDMA/66/100/133 IDE controllers
# One (1) Floppy controller

Since this motherboard has integrated graphics, try uninstalling the dedicated board and see if the problem persists with the integrated graphics.

Edited by dc3, 10 January 2011 - 02:29 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jumpman17

jumpman17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

This morning the computer screen wasn't even readable, it had gotten much worse. I removed the graphics card like suggested and it works perfectly now. I tried putting it back in after a couple hours and it did the same thing as before, so I guess the card is just dying or something. Thanks, I'd never seen a card do anything like that before.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

My first guess would be that the dedicated card has failed. But there is one other possibility, this would be that your PSU isn't powerful enough to support this graphics card. Would you please post the make and model of your PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jumpman17

jumpman17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

The PSU is an OKIA, model OKIA-450ATX (450W Max). That should be plenty to run that crappy old video card, plus he had used it from 05-07, so I know it worked at one point in time.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

That PSU is more than enough for that graphics card. It looks like we can now say for certain that the dedicated card has failed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users