Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems installing Windows 7 & XP on Computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Zeidan

Zeidan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

Okay so I was given a used computer. It's a hp slimline s7520n pc that came with Windows XP Media Center installed. Upon receiving it, I plugged it in and tried opening it but ran through a problem. The windows wouldn't load and it would stand on the loading screen forever. I then decided I'd just install Windows 7 (was probably a bad idea since it doesn't have enough ram to run it quickly). Anyways, when trying to install it the first time, I chose to install it on the partition windows xp media center was installed. It said it would create a folder with the old files in there. Everything went good from there, but during the installation, I encountered a problem. It was at stuck at 88% when "Expanding files" and it would not change. I then retried installing it several times, but it would not even come close to that screen again. It would stay stuck at the "setup is loading..." screen.

I then thought, maybe my Windows 7 cd is corrupted so I downloaded XP (legally, MSDNAA). Anyways, after attempting to install Windows XP Pro, I got the following error. I can't tell you what the exact words were, since I tried installing it in french, but it basically the error is a blue screen that says an error occured when the installation program tried to update information on the partition and it then says that that the installation program can't continue and to press F3 to quit. It then just restarts the computer and goes back to the installation screen. It ended up saying "cpqarray.sys file is corrupted", though I'm not sure if it said that because I took off the installation cd.

Anyways, I have no clue what the problem could be. I'm not that experienced with these stuff and that's why I come to you for help. Ideally, I would like to keep the files that were already on the computer. If I can't it's alright but I really need a fix to this. Any idea what the problem could be?

Edit: I'm unsure if I posted this on the correct section,

Edited by Zeidan, 10 January 2011 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

Is the hdd recognized in the BIOS?

While you are in the BIOS, find S.M.A.R.T. and make sure it' enabled. If there is a problem with the hdd the POST will indicate that S.M.A.R.T. is bad or failed, or words to that effect.

Edited by dc3, 10 January 2011 - 01:38 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zeidan

Zeidan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:47 AM

Is the hdd recognized in the BIOS?

While you are in the BIOS, find S.M.A.R.T. and make sure it' enabled. If there is a problem with the hdd the POST will indicate that S.M.A.R.T. is bad or failed, or words to that effect.

I did all this and SMART SUPPORT is enabled. It doesn't mention any problem with the HDD when I open the computer, only says problems with the Windows.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:01 AM

It might be worth going to the web site of the manufacturer of your hdd and download their diagnostic tool and see if there is a problem with it. If there is a choice between a short or long test, use the long test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Zeidan

Zeidan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:31 AM

It might be worth going to the web site of the manufacturer of your hdd and download their diagnostic tool and see if there is a problem with it. If there is a choice between a short or long test, use the long test.

Where do I get the manufacturer name? It doesn't say in the Bios. All it says is SATA 2 and that it's 500gb.

Edit: I think it's this: Barracuda 7200.11 SATA 3Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive

I googled the ST3500320AS (which is the name that was displayed in the bios) and this is the result it came with.

Edited by Zeidan, 10 January 2011 - 03:44 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

You will need to open the case and examine the hdd for the manufacturer.

#7 Zeidan

Zeidan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:56 AM

You will need to open the case and examine the hdd for the manufacturer.

I downloaded and burned on a cd the diagnostic tool but as soon as it gets to the screen with the license agreement, I'm unable to press ENTER or move the mouse for some reason.

I really believe there's a problem with the HDD. It made really weird, loud noises earlier today.

Edited by Zeidan, 10 January 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,278 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Is it making a clicking noise?

#9 Zeidan

Zeidan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

I guess.

#10 Zeidan

Zeidan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:06 PM

Just an update on this. I'm almost positive it's my hard drive that is broken.

I've downloaded a version of Linux called Linux Toutou. It's a version that you burn to a disk. You can boot on it, and it uses the ram so you don't need to install it on a hard drive or even use the hard drive at all. It's apparently a good method to save your data if your Windows is corrupted. Anyways, I tried this method and I had to "mount" my hard drive to be able to access it. It gave me an error saying it's unable to mount the hard drive. My hard drive also does lots of weird sounds every once in a while, so I'm almost sure that's the problem.

So I got a question, what can I do? Should I buy a new hard drive? Is it worth it? The computer has like 1gb of ram and it's a slimline pc. What hard drive should I buy and do you have a tutorial on how I can install it?

Thanks.

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

Buying a new hard drive is the best option to solve this issue like this.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users