Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System.ini Deleted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 altishima

altishima

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:55 AM

A few days ago, I started having problems with my java after I loaded jEdit to write out my programs. I tried uninstalling jEdit and re-installing java.

The re-installation of java somehow kicked out a previous .dll version that the pc needed which somehow caused my System.ini to disappear. So at startup, I get an error message saying that I have no system.ini file and it needs to be reinstalled as well as one further down saying the pc needs java.vxcd? (I didn't write it down so I'll have to check next time I start it)

Is there any way for me to reinstall the system.ini file and the java file or is something more drastic necessary?

All help is appreciated;
Altishima

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:42 PM

That depends what version of Windows you have.

Win95 - try this link - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000211.htm

Win98/SE - You will need the original Windows 98 CD.
Click Start>Run and type SFC and click 'OK'.
The System File Checker dialog box will open.
To restore a particular file select 'Extract one file from installation disk' and enter the name of the file to be restored, then click 'Start'.
The Extract File dialog box opens.
Type in your CDROM drive letter followed by "\win98" in the 'Restore from' location (usually D:\win98 ) OR use the 'Browse' button to find that folder on your CDROM drive.
Type the name of the folder you want to restore to in the 'Save file in" box. (usually C:\Windows\System but depends on the file).
When prompted to create a backup of the file, note the location of the Backup folder and click OK.
You then see the message "The file has been successfully extracted." Click OK to complete the process.

WinME - use System Restore.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

The java file I'm missing is JAVASUP.VXD

I tried to restore the system.ini file the way you said, but I'm not sure where in the CD it is located since I didn't see it in the Win98 folder.

Also, I realize that I have Windows 98 the first edition, not the second; that will probably affect how to restore it.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

I don't know if this will help, but read this SunJava link:

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4554609

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

I'm not sure where in the CD it is located since I didn't see it in the Win98 folder.

You don't need to know that, SFC will find it. You just need to tell SFC where the Win98 folder is.
Win98 or Win98SE it will work the same way.

Edit: Forgot to say - system.ini goes in the C:\Windows folder.
Have you tried Search (or Find) for System.ini - it may have been moved to another folder?

System.ini is backed up with the registry, if you have a registry backup from before the problem started you can do this:
To restore the backup manually

1. On the Start menu, click Shut Down.
2. Select Restart in MS-DOS mode and click OK.
3. At the MS-DOS command prompt, type scanreg /restore.
4. Select the latest known good backup.

Backed up, compressed registry files are listed with the name Rbxxx.cab. The files show the time and date of backup.

Edited by Rimmer, 11 December 2005 - 09:32 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 spiritcloud

spiritcloud

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

Here is a place you can download javasup.vxd:

http://www.win-files.net/files/javasup.vxd.php

The download link is in bold red towards the bottom.
Nobility is not a birthright--it is a way of life.

#7 altishima

altishima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I was able to use the SFC to restore system.ini and the site was exactly what I needed.

Thanks again for all of your help,
Altishima

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:51 PM

That's good news! Glad you fixed it :thumbsup:

(sorry for delayed response, been offline for a while)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users