Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satalite won't boot Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 billdozer1000

billdozer1000

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

First off, this is my first post here, you guys do a great job!!

Working on a A15-S127 Toshiba Satellite, the lady doesn't know much about it other than her brother gave it to her...

My findings are i can't get it to boot windows exp, it keeps going to the bad start menu, and I've tried all options in order to try and boot it, but it won't, not safe mode, not last known good config, nothing... It will show the win xp start up, but then goes directly to restart and back to failed start, and has been doing that by itself the entire time i searched your forums, and whilst I'm writing this, i apologize for maybe not putting this in the right forum, ahead of time...

I'm usually pretty good at getting a failed start up back on its feet, however this one had dumbfounded me, only thing i can think is a failed hdd, but i can't run a disk check on it.... what do you think?

thanx a lot ahead of time

wait, I'm gonna use my sata controller, and see if i can get the hdd to fire off, if you know of another issue with that type of laptop,i would love to hear it, will post back with my findings of the hdd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 billdozer1000

billdozer1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

ok, its pata, don't laugh at me... i don't have a controller for that..

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Hi -
Do you have an XP CD to insert in the unit as it starts (or at any time) and try to use that to boot with -
Is the XP updated to any Service Pack that you know, or just "an XP operating unit" -
A reinstall may be required or it may be badly infected, but if you can not open the unit it becomes harder to diagnose -

Thank You -

#4 Kilza

Kilza

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Either the drive is old and it got corrupted and parts of the operating system got damaged or some bad error or even virus got a hold of that computer. I'm going to guess it is a disk malfunction if you cant boot in safe mode and you cant run disk checks. You may want to see if you can make a bootable repair disk to fix the operating system or just run that thing with a new operating system (may i suggest Ubuntu linux 10.04 :thumbup2: )

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

If you have or have access to a retail copy of a XP installation CD which is the same version as the one on this computer use it to access the recovery console and run a chkdsk /r

If you don't, please try the following:

Download NTBR_CD.exe and create a bootable CD.

* Save the file to your Desktop and double-click it. This will create a folder named NTBR_CD.
* Open the folder and locate BurnItCD. Launch it by double-clicking it.
* When BurnCDCC opens, click Start - the CD tray will open.
* Insert blank CD and click OK.
* The tray will close, burn the image then eject the disk.

Run chkdsk.

* Boot the affected computer with the new CD.
* Once presented with the boot screen please hit <ENTER> to boot from CD.
* After a warning screen there is a keyboard language options screen - press <ENTER> to leave it at EN-US.
You should now be at the Tool options screen.
* Type 5 and press <ENTER> to go to a command prompt.
At the command prompt type the following bolded command then press <ENTER>

tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk

You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter.
* Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors.
Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
* When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
* Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Allow the computer to attempt booting normally and let me know the outcome.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 billdozer1000

billdozer1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

WOW!!! thanx alot guys, i'll try that when i get back from fighting the 6 inches of snow that just fell here to get my gf from work, Thanx alot guys!!!!

#7 billdozer1000

billdozer1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

ok, took me a minute to get the program to burn the disk, vista and Mozilla i guess, anyhow got the disk to burn and ran it on the failed comp, it deleted a few files, and in the end of second stage had so many orphaned files to recover, that there wasn't sufficient disk space for some of them, it finished third stage but when it went to verify, it had an unknown error, this was finished, i went to menu as you said and hit ctrl-alt-del to restart, this time windows never even tried, just kept going over the bios over and over and over, re ran the disk and now I'm running test disk from that same disk you had me burn, this is a very very powerful tool!!, i just don't think this hdd was able to be resurrected, however, I'm gonna keep trying, there are a few more things on that disk you had me burn that i think may revive it...

#8 billdozer1000

billdozer1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

nope, dead, thanx anyways!!!! i appreciate the tools, hope i never have to use them, but just the same thanks

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 mmacns

mmacns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:00 AM

I tried making the bootable CD and then ran the chkdsk--it did not show any errors, just a few dots (...........) and a rectangle and then the X: tried the reboot and it keeps coming up with the "following file is missing or corrupt: system\hal.dll. Any other suggestions? :unsure:

I am tired and have been working on this for about 4 hours now. Time to call it quits. If you have any other suggestions, it would be appreciated.

#11 mmacns

mmacns

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:51 AM

Happy days are here again. I kept checking other forums within this site (I just can't give up on something like this) and found one that did solve the problem with the missing/corrupt system32\hal.dll file. In my excitement, I did not note the author of the answer--but the website I was directed to ARCDC-Artello.com. MY depest thanks to a resolution to a tough problem. :thumbsup:

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:41 AM

whoops ... double post due to forum being off-line

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 February 2011 - 05:42 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

@ mmacns

:welcome: to the BC forums.

Pleased to see that you found the instructions to use ARCDC from Artellos.com to create an XP Recovery Console CD. I presume that you then ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console and it repaired the disk file system sufficiently for you to be able to boot into Windows normally again.

Well done.

To anyone else who may read this ... chkdsk /r can also be run on an XP system, from the command prompt of any Vista or Windows7 installation disk or recovery environment disk (as well as from any XP installation CD). In fact, it is reported that the version of chkdsk used with a Vista or Win7 disk is better than that of a standard XP version, which in turn is better than that used by ntfs4dos.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users